Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyr_falcon

Quesnelia liboniana worthwhile?

gyr_falcon
11 years ago

While wandering around a nursery today, I saw a 1 gal. plant offered with rather vague id. Some internet searching has me thinking it may be Quesnelia liboniana. It does not seem to be a widely grown plant, and the spent flower stalk of the nursery plants had me wondering if it is more of an uncommon curiosity, or a worthy garden addition when a mature group is in bloom. .

It wasn't expensive. I am more interested in opinions as to if it is worth real estate in my small garden. Searching the internet and this forum didn't give me enough information to decide.

Comments (5)

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Any plant is worth growing once...if you have the space and time. I had to cut down my collection numbers from 1100 to 500...due to time constraints LOL

• splinter1804
    11 years ago

Hi Gyr_Falcon

I have found here in Australia, this plant prefers to grow mounted on something rather than in a pot.

If it's potted it will grow out over the side in a very short time. The flowers do have an attractive unusual colour combination of blue/purple and orange and are a bit Billbergia like as far as lasting qualities

All the best, Nev..

• gyr_falcon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time I have hotdiggetydam, as my collection is much, much smaller than yours, but suitable bromeliad space is in short supply. Part of the problem is that I do tend to try out a large number of oddball items that pop up in our various nurseries! But a 1 gal. bromeliad should be easier to find a location for than that Buddleja alternifolia that followed me home last week. (Where am I going to put that future monster? lol) There were only two of the possible Q. liboniana at the nursery when I was there, so if one is still available during my next visit, it likely will find itself tucked into my stuff. Who knows, it could become a new favorite.

Thank you for the growing tip, splinter1804. Many of my billbergias are grown in wire baskets using a mesh method I dreamed up originally for a fern. It allows the plants to grow into a large ball before I need to refresh them by division. It sounds as if this plant would like hanging off the sides. That is a nice color combination on those flowers, and different from my other broms.

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

Falcon what other genera of broms are you growing? There are many broms that have a lot of color. I like Neoregelia, Billbergia and large broms like Alcantarea and the big Aechmea. Depending on what area you live in you should have multiple sources to select broms from.

• gyr_falcon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of my broms are neos and billbergias, partly by happy accident. A shop that used to be nearby once got in some named 6" pot broms, mostly neos, and sold them for $5 each. Seriously? I bought them all! lol My neos range from Mini Skirt to Cosmos in size, there is an Aechmea 'Alvarez', some tillandsias, and the rest are billbergias and whatever else I have forgotten that is hanging around. The red noes are my favorites, I think. They really stand out in the garden.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company
More Discussions