Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_todd

Billbergia id

brom_todd
15 years ago

Someone has sent me a pic to id of a Billbergia they photographed while in America. It's not one I recognise - I've done a quick search through the fcbs photo index for cultivars starting with 'Pink' but nothing conclusive. I was hoping someone here might recognise it?

{{gwi:449664}}

Comments (10)

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi brom_todd,
    I can't help you with the ID, but WOW!!! what an eye catcher.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

All the best, Nev.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Looks like strawberry???

• gonzer_gw
    15 years ago

Maybe 'Caramba' or 'Moulin Rouge'.

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Ahhh Yes i have to agree with Neomea, it looks very much like Bill 'Strawberry'
    How devine

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Strawberry would be my first guess too. What a well-grown clump!

• brom_todd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses - I'll pass that info on.
    I was also very impressed with the calibre of this hybrid and how well it has been grown. Quite inspirational.

..I wonder if a wee bit managed to slip into his hand luggage? -just kidding ;-)

But it's seeing plants like this (and many of your hybrids Lisa) that makes me want to give it a go myself, given that importing them into NZ is beyond the means of most growers.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi brom todd,
    Go on give it a go, it's really very interesting and you've nothing to lose.

You may even get some little surprises like I did.

{{gwi:449666}}

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

What genus/nothogenus are those? I still can't tell a bill from a neo from an achmea at that size. And if they are bigeneric, that doesn't help either.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Nev, now that is a nice surprise! Would yo like to share the names of the parents whith us - and may a picture of the mother? Wow, 2 perfectly albo-marginated babies!

Japie

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    Bromadams, those seedlings are to the best of my knowledge, Neoregelias. I say to the best of my knowledge as I didn't make the cross, I think it was made by ants; but I only have Neoregelias growing in that shade house.

Avane, yes there are two nice little albo-marginated plants, but they grow oh so ...S L O W... compared to their brothers and sisters in that box who are all the same age.

As to the parents, well I don't know who the pollen parent was and to the best of my knowledge I suspect the seed parent was a sport, but I won't say any more at this point as I want to take some more pic's and start another thread in which all will be revealed.

There has been a fair bit of discussion about variegation and transmitters in past posts and it seemed, quite a lot of interest, so I have a lot of questions for Lisa her panel of experts re. transmitters and the results of subsequent crossings with offspring from this particular parent (which I made this time as well as the ants).

But just to keep you guessing, here is a pic. of a pup (just starting to colour up) from the mother of those seedlings:

{{gwi:449668}}

{{gwi:449670}}

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks
More Discussions