Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neomea

When a plan comes together!

neomea
15 years ago

Hi Guys

Last year I did a X between Ae distichantha and orlandiana. The results are below:

The majority of plants and green and slooooow.

One is a weed and has just exploded, it is pupping like mad and seems to be getting some pink colour now that it has a bit of sun. I'll hang on to it and see what the flower looks like just incase!

{{gwi:449726}}

However, below it exactly what I was after, so I am hoping this little fella will be a large spikey bugger with that awesome orlandiana leaf pattern. Very slow growing but now also moved to some sun and its own pot.

{{gwi:449727}}

Cheers

Dennis

Comments (6)

• stephania
    15 years ago

That's really interesting (*_*)"

• sdandy
    15 years ago

That's a fun little comparison. The smaller one is interesting in a really funky way. Can't wait to see the bloom comparison.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Those two siblings sure do differ, Dennis! Thanks for showing the comparison. Good luck with them.

None of my Ae. distichantha have silver banding like your first one. In fact, I can't see any characteristics of distichantha in either seedling - except for the size of the first one. The orlandiana influence is obvious in the second seedling.
    Dennis - does your parent distichantha have silver barring? I grow a considerably smaller plant with the contentious name of Ae. wittmackiana, which U.Derek has grouped in with the distichantha "interpretive nightmare" article. It has slight silver-barring, with an inflorescence similar to my supposed distichantha var. distichantha. Does your distichantha come with a species variety name? I'm curious about the species consensus in your part of the globe.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bromadams
    15 years ago

The weed is interesting. A polyploid perhaps?

I can think of several things that you might have wanted, so I'm curios to hear what results you hoped for from your plan.

• neomea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all

Yeah I thought the comparison would be interesting. While I am hoping the other seedlings may develop similar characteristics to the little guy above I have my doubts, they look very much like distichantha at this stage.

Sdandy-I reckon its going to be a big pink and blue flower...or is that I wish.

Kerry: When we bought our house a nice clump of distichantha came with it.....I may have to read Uncle DerekÂs "interpretive nightmare" article and get a pic to show you, I'll do it this weekend and post on Monday. Maybe someone will be able to give us a conclusive answer. I had a quick browse over Uncles D's article and perhaps the mother plant is infact Ae.wittmackiana...

Bromadams: Had to do a quick google on polyploid! What would I be looking for to ascertain that is is?
    When I did the X I was looking for a plant with the distichantha size and hardiness and the colouring of orlandiana. The weedy one was not part of the plan but it had other plans, like colonising the entire pot!

Cheers

Dennis

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I wish there was some standardized way to test hardiness.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions