Kindly identify this brom, thanks!

* It's a huge plant.

{{gwi:450725}}

{{gwi:450726}}

Comments (12)

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Lyndi,

I'm no expert but it does look a little like Neo. Red Macaw which can be a reasonable sized Neo.

Rick

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Lyndi

What about Neo Fairchild? It's for sure some kind of johannis, but it looks just like my Fairchild.

Japie

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

I forgot to add the pictures for you Lyndi. The first one was taken about a year ago and the second one, just a couple of months back when it has started flowering already.

{{gwi:450727}}

{{gwi:450728}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I'm with Japie. That looks exactly like my N. johannis, Lyndi. I'm not sure if my clone is Fairchild or not, but it probably is.

Grown in full sun:

{{gwi:450729}}

Same cv., shaded by a tree:

{{gwi:450730}}

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rick, Japie and Lis

Thanks for your ID help!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Lyndi,
    I have a similar plant which is about 2'6" across. This pic shows it in full sun almost all day. When grown in semi shade it is much the same colour as yours.

Is your plant this big also?

{{gwi:450731}}

All the best, Nev.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Nev, glad to know it can take full sun. Thanks!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lyndi - Here's two of my plants which I mentioned above, the first one is in the open and unprotected from the sun. It has a few burn marks from our Jan.(43 degree) heatwave day.

The second is growing beneath 50% shade cloth.

{{gwi:450733}}

{{gwi:450735}}

All the best, Nev.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Nev, the flowers of your plant seems to be blue - or are my eyes playing tricks with me? They are very small. If they are blue, then this is not a johannis or Fairchild. They whole inflorescence also does not have that johannis look to it.

Japie

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lyndi - Ooops! sorry lyndi, wrong info given.

Thanks avane for pointing out the colour of the flowers on my plant. I guess in my excitement to become involved in the discussion I didn't digest the start of Lyndi's request which was addressed to "experts".

Yes avane you were right about the flowers.

{{gwi:450737}}

All I could see were some similarities to my plant regarding the leaf colours and the size.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board and learn to look at the "whole picture" first and then "put brain into gear before engaging mouth"

Sorry lyndi, all the best, Nev.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nev

No problem, I am still learning from you guys so any info is welcome. So what is your plant? I think I have something similar from Bangkok but no ID as well. Thanks!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lyndi - I'm back up the creek without a paddle and still don't know what my plant is.

I thought I had a name when your plant was identified, but I guess it wasn't to be so I'll just put the NOID name tag back in the pot.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions