Kindly identify this brom, thanks!
* It's a huge plant.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neoregelia ID

Lyndi,

I'm no expert but it does look a little like Neo. Red Macaw which can be a reasonable sized Neo.

Rick

o

Hi Lyndi

What about Neo Fairchild? It's for sure some kind of johannis, but it looks just like my Fairchild.

Japie

o
RE: Neoregelia ID - pictures

I forgot to add the pictures for you Lyndi. The first one was taken about a year ago and the second one, just a couple of months back when it has started flowering already.

Photobucket

Neo Fairchild - flowering

o

I'm with Japie. That looks exactly like my N. johannis, Lyndi. I'm not sure if my clone is Fairchild or not, but it probably is.

Grown in full sun:

Photobucket

Same cv., shaded by a tree:

Photobucket

o

Rick, Japie and Lis

Thanks for your ID help!

o

Hi Lyndi,
I have a similar plant which is about 2'6" across. This pic shows it in full sun almost all day. When grown in semi shade it is much the same colour as yours.

Is your plant this big also?

Unknown Neoregelia

All the best, Nev.

o

Wow! Nev, glad to know it can take full sun. Thanks!

o

Hi Lyndi - Here's two of my plants which I mentioned above, the first one is in the open and unprotected from the sun. It has a few burn marks from our Jan.(43 degree) heatwave day.

The second is growing beneath 50% shade cloth.

Photobucket

Photobucket

All the best, Nev.

o

Nev, the flowers of your plant seems to be blue - or are my eyes playing tricks with me? They are very small. If they are blue, then this is not a johannis or Fairchild. They whole inflorescence also does not have that johannis look to it.

Japie

o

Hi Lyndi - Ooops! sorry lyndi, wrong info given.

Thanks avane for pointing out the colour of the flowers on my plant. I guess in my excitement to become involved in the discussion I didn't digest the start of Lyndi's request which was addressed to "experts".

Yes avane you were right about the flowers.

Photobucket

All I could see were some similarities to my plant regarding the leaf colours and the size.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board and learn to look at the "whole picture" first and then "put brain into gear before engaging mouth"

Sorry lyndi, all the best, Nev.

o

Nev

No problem, I am still learning from you guys so any info is welcome. So what is your plant? I think I have something similar from Bangkok but no ID as well. Thanks!

o

Hi Lyndi - I'm back up the creek without a paddle and still don't know what my plant is.

I thought I had a name when your plant was identified, but I guess it wasn't to be so I'll just put the NOID name tag back in the pot.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here