Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotdiggetydam

Seedling starter soil

hotdiggetydam
14 years ago

Ok by now we have all tried different seed starting mixes. Which ones have been successful for you? Mine has been an organic soil mixed with ground coco fiber.

Comments (10)

• bryan69
    14 years ago

miracle grow with time release works great for me. fill a six inch pot half way wet soil and put in a zip lock bag and let her rip. Don't forget the seeds

• stephania
    14 years ago

I use only fine peat moss, a New Zealand gardening product.

Soaking in water with fugiside before sawing on the top and leave them for months!

{{gwi:450928}}

{{gwi:450930}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just use take away containers filled to about half with moist, fine coco-peat and microwaved on high for five minutes

{{gwi:450932}}

2. When cool, sow the seeds and replace the lid.

{{gwi:450934}}

3. When sturdy enough, remove the lid and harden off for a few weeks before thinning out to about this many per container. (I know the name is spelt wrongly)

{{gwi:450936}}

5. Watch Mother Nature take her course and pot on as required.

{{gwi:450938}}

6. Wonder how , where and when you start the culling process.

{{gwi:450940}}

All the best, Nev.

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

My seedling set up is very similar to Nev's. However, I do add perlite to the coco peat so its about a 50/50 mix. I found some seedlings would struggle to get their roots into the pure coco peat mix as in my set up the peat tended to pack down too much. The perlite / coco mix seems to work well retaining mositure, while not getting too soggy, & it allows those first roots to get down into the mix. Have to feed with a liquid fertiliser, & have to keep a watch for fungus, as it can break out & can then be hard to control. I lost a few batches of seedlings last season when some sort of fungus got into a few of the containers...for some reason it was the best ones that got hit :-(

Cheers, Andrew.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I use milled sphagnum.

{{gwi:450943}}

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Nev, I'll have one of those Werauhia seedlings thanks! he he.
    Great pictures and info for anyone wanting to grow from seed.
    Thanks for starting this topic HDD.
    BA

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Brom adorer,

If I can get them to any decent size you're welcome to one or two, but give me a reminder in about a year.

All the best, Nev.

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi all

Sphagnum is as rare as an honest politician here. I managed to find a mix that comes from Germany, two types of peat moss and some other stuff in there, seems perfect for seedlings and as a growing mix. Time will tell.

Nev: I reckon you will be culling pretty soon. Oh were did you manage to get the Werhauhia seed from?

Cheers

Dennis

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Dennis,

The seed came from the Bromeliad Society of Australia Seed Bank, but it's no longer listed.

All the best, Nev.

• neomea
    14 years ago

Oh well thanks Nev!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions