Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

The Carcharodons

lyndi_whye
16 years ago

Hello! Everyone

I am a newbie when growing bromeliads is concerned.

Me and a group of enthusiastic friends imported our plants from Michael. We also collected a few from Thailand and Australia as the local nurseries only carry a few from Indonesia.

We went through lots of trials and errors to find the ideal growing conditions and suitable potting mix for growing neoregelias here in tropical Singapore. One of our problems is to retain or achieve their optimum colour especially the pinks, purple and reds. I hope experts out there would share us a trick or two with me. Thanks!

I would like to share pictures of a few of my favourite neoregalias for a start.

Neo. carcharodon 'Giant'

{{gwi:450993}}

Neo. carcharodon 'Rainbow'

{{gwi:450994}}

Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger'-

{{gwi:450995}}

Any ideal how to get the tiger to colour up? It is not under any shade cloth, just shade from nearby plants in the afternoon.

Crypt. 'Frostbite'

{{gwi:450996}}

Comments (16)

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Lyndi, thanks for showing that Giant, I always wanted to know how it looks!

In my humble opinion, feed your plants as little as possible and give them sun as much as possible. I am almost sure they all will take full sun all day long coupled with your high humidity. But keep a careful eye on them, if they show signs of sunburn or washed out colour (a sickly yellowy colour) give them a bit more shade. That brilliant green on the new growth of Tiger and Giant and Rainbow, says either too much shade and/or too much food.

Enjoy them!

Japie

• jaga
    16 years ago

Lyndi, congrats, wish we could have these plants- almost impossible to get here. Does anyone know if the tiger or other cacharadons would self pollinate?

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Jaga, for this one, I do believe Lisa when she said Tiger is a self pollinater!

Japie

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

You must be thinking of Blushing Tiger or Blueberry Tiger, Japie. Carcharodon Tiger will not self-pollinate, either on its own or with help. I tried!

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Add to that list of selfers: Hannibal Lector.

• hanwc
    16 years ago

Lyndi, all carcharodons can be grown in full sun.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To: Japie
    Thanks for the leads! BTW, what kind of fertiliser is suitable for neos?

The 'Giant' came with longer leaves and I am glad it has developed a more compact form. This was how it looked on arival.
    {{gwi:450997}}

I have a 'Silver' but it has not achieved the form as shown in this picture from fcbs. (*this is not my plant)
    {{gwi:450998}}

To: Han
    I noticed you have a nice rainbow as well.
    BTW, We are doing another mass order from Micheal's soon.

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Lyndi-

In general, the "harder" you grow neos, the more color you'll get. As Japie said more sun and less fertilizer will do the job. A lot of people won't fertilize neos at all. Others will give a pinch when they are first potted up to get them going.

I'm sure Lisa will chime in here, since I think she uses a small amount of time release fertilizer. Once again, in general, less is more.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mike!

I actually don't fertilise my bromelaids.

Our weather is very unpredictable. Our hot sun can be very hot, it can burn the leaves of many plants. Just after I put up the shade cloth for the coloured ones last week, it was followed by many days of overcast and rain. I took it down this morning.

I found this crypt at one of the local nurseries, any idea what it is? The crypt to the right is frostbite.
    {{gwi:450999}}

Thanks!

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Lyndi, if you like the carcharodons and you are getting plants from Michael again, think about getting some plants where carcharodon and carolinae (to get it variegated)is crossed, like Yin or Yang.
    Neo Yang. It seems to glow when the sun catches it from behind!
    {{gwi:451000}}

And Pink on Black (Very difficult to capture it's colour on camera, in real life it is amazing!):
    {{gwi:451001}}

Japie

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Japie

I like the Pink on Black, very stunning! I do have a few variegated ones like Ink Well, Lou Wilson and Variegated Ninja.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Half grown and about 3 ft across
    {{gwi:451002}}

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey! hotdiggetydam

I can see those teeth!
    BTW, we share the same Birthday.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

WOW is that 'Pink on Black' avail. in Australia yet ??
    and HDD what is that big spotted thing called ..

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Its a newly found species from Brazil....I dont know its classified yet
    Pink on black should be available..its been around a few years

• mokikat
    16 years ago

I fertilize my Neo's once in the spring and once in the summer with Urea free Grow More fertilizer. I think it
    makes the plant stronger and have brighter colors.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions