Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeemom_gw

treating scale on billbergia

coffeemom
15 years ago

I know this is prob Bromeliad 101 to you all but I have a few questions. Scale has hit everyone of my bils. Using the search feature, I think I found the formula to be Bayer liquid 2 tsp per gallon, so

1) Bayer tree and shrub? Bayer Rose?

2) use as a drench or spray the entire brom?

Thank you, thank you.

Comments (8)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

What kinda of scale? that is the number one question for treating. A good description or a photo would help.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Use the Tree & Shrub, 1.47% imidacloprid. If the brom is full of water then the solution will get further diluted, so if you can, dump the water first and then pour solution over plant. I've never put too much on a plant. I like to use a watering can if I'm doing lots of plants.

Just remember that dead scale does not just fall off and a systemic does not work well on dead and dying leaves.

• coffeemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HDD, Mine look the same as davo's pics in the gallery.What kind of granuales do you use for prevention?

bromadams, So I leave the solution in the cup? not just the roots? I've been using my fingernails to get off what I can but can't get to the inside.
    Does the drench work better than immersing the plant in soapy water?
    Again, thanks for being kind to the uninformed but lovers of bromeliads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mine, too

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi coffeemom,

I get good results from a spray made from Canola Oil. Just Google 'canola oil spray for scale' to get the recipe. It comes from a "Brom Man" who is also a chemist and was designed to mainly kill 'flyspeck scale', but I find it kills the lot and is safe for everyone except the scale.

It is suspected that the commercial 'White Oil Spray' commonly sold to kill scale on plants in general, is harmful to broms.

Like bromadams says, the dead scale won't just drop off, but I find they can easily be removed with an old tooth brush.

As well as killing the scale, look for the cause. Often it's through over-crowding or is introduced by a new plant from a collection where scale is present and not controlled.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

The leaves will absorb the solution and once you put it on your done. Stay away from the plant for a day or two. You don't want to get it on your skin or you'll absorb some too. It is supposed to be safe, but I'd rather avoid contact.

I suppose that some plants must absorb imidacloprid through the roots, but bromeliads seem to do fine through the leaves. I don't know anything about using soapy water. I'm quite happy using imidacloprid.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I use Merit granules in the spring and fall before they start crawling. I dont like spraying poisons every where. I dip the plants if I get an infestation on a plant. I do not leave the liquid insecticide in the cups. I do put a couple granules in the cup water

• bromadams
    15 years ago

This is why I like imidacloprid. I don't think soapy water is going to stop the evil weevil. I'm not sure this was caused by the evil weevil, but I've seen them around. I took this picture today, but I noticed the hole a while ago. I put imidacloprid on everything except Dykias, Bromelias and Crypts.

{{gwi:451004}}

• User
    15 years ago

I'm a big fan of Merit® too. Strong enough for broms but gentle enough for my Maidenhairs. (sounds like an Irish Spring commercial) "Manly yes! But ah lak it too!"

Sponsored
More Discussions