Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplestar_gw

Some names needed please

purplestar
15 years ago

I've been saving a few of my unknowns in a folder until I had enough to make it worthwhile to finally ask for them to be ID'ed in bulk LOL! so here goes.

1) a plain leafed vriesea with a 10 inch long plume/spade/feather/spike with a shorter appendage attached. The closest I could find was Vr ensiformis?

2) Another vriesea

This one has a purplish mottling on the leaves, Foliage feels very delicate.

3)A small neoregelia about the size of fireball, maybe a little bit bigger. This is very very dark, sometimes black in certain light. Purchased at Mareeba FNQ in 2006.

4)Billbergia, could this be B. Bellisima?

5) Aechmea something? flowers are strong blue. Initially I thought maybe Aechmea johannis but now I'm not sure.

6)Billbergia.....I always called this B. Happy Days. Could it be? This reaches 80cm in height and turns dark red/brown in strong light.

Thanks in advance

cheers Rossana

Comments (10)

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

The little dark Neo looks like Tar Baby.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

The only one I'm sure of is #4, and you're right, it's Bill. Bellisima.

#6 can't be Happy Days, as the inflorescence is completely different. I'd say it's probably a hybrid of amoena v. viridis. Check the FCBS photo of Medowie Gift Pinkie. Pretty similar, if not identical.

I'd never heard of Ae. joannis before, but I looked it up in the index and you could be right! Funny, I would have said it was a recurvata hybrid. Now I'll have to add joannis to my wish list!

At first I thought the Neo might be Black Currant, but mine is not stoloniferous. My Tarbaby doesn't open up into a wide rosette like that, so I don't think it's that either. It does look like it has pauciflora in it, though. What about Little Black? Just a guess, but it looks pretty close.

The Vrieseas......... no clue.

• purplestar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, I think you're spot on with Little Black being my little black neo thankyou ;-)Finally! I can rest LOL!
    Blue Heeler a friend also suggested Tar Baby and for a long time I sat on that name but I wasn't convinced because of the fine striations on the leaf in the pic on FCBS, which mine doesn't seem to have. But thanks so much for your input :-)
    Thanks also for the Belissima id Lisa, my mother will be very happy she can finally write a name on her label in ink instead of pencil LOL! Although sometimes I find pencil much longer lasting.
    Also thanks for setting me straight on the B. Happy Days, I was never 100% sure about that one. Medowie Gift Pinkie seems spot on to me as well, so thanks Lisa.

While I remember, I have another Neo here for ID please. It reminds me alot of my Little Black (feels good calling it by it's real name LOL!) in that when it gets too much sun the dark damaged pigment turns to a strange green which also reminds me of the green of pauciflora and has a similar shape to pauciflora with the long thin extensions of the leaf. This plant is always leggy and never gets a nice shape no matter how hard It's grown. Any ideas what it could be?

cheers Rossana

By the way, they're my husbands legs in the first pic. It's not fair!!!, he has better legs than me LOL!

• neomea
    15 years ago

I was thinking that little purple guys is royal flush!

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Rossana, all I can tell you about that last one is that it's clearly a wilsoniana hybrid. The closest photo match I could find is Sara's Sunset, but I'm not sure that's right.

• purplestar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Neomea, thankyou, Royal Flush was a another name I had on standby for that little fellow, but after comparing mine to Little Black, I think I'm sold on Lisa's suggestion :-)

Well Lisa that last one sure has the shape of wilsoniana and the colours of Sara's Sunset. So I'm satisfied now I can at least call it a wilsoniana hybrid, Thanks so much for your help guys :-)

Cheers Rossana

• bryan69
    15 years ago

There is a wilsoniana rubra.

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

Your #5 reminds of my Quesnelias, either arvensis or testudo.

• purplestar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A wilsoniana rubra eh? Thanks Bryan 'rubra' sure matches up to my plant. Will follow that up, Thanks

yes Bodiggly, the aech joannis #5 does have that globular head like the quesnelias you mentioned. The bright blue flowers also sent me searching through the quesnelia lists.

How lucky are we for this web site where we can quickly find our answers or leads from other brom nuts! ;-)

• kellyp
    10 years ago

Did you ever get this one ID? I have it
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/rockorchid/aahappydayss-1.jpg
    Maybe its a billbergia.

This post was edited by kellyp on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 9:43

Sponsored
More Discussions