Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

After years of waiting : blooming 'Galactic Warrior'

stephania
15 years ago

After six years of waiting, finally my 'Galactic Warrior' is blooming now (^_^)"

{{gwi:451371}}

{{gwi:451372}}

{{gwi:451373}}

Chanin in 'Xeric Garden'

Comments (13)

• stone_jaguar
    15 years ago

Chanin:

A beautiful and, as always, immaculate plant. I see that the inner leaves show little variegation now that the plant has flushed.

What is the diameter of this plant and how heavily do you feed it? I purchased a small one from a U.S. nursery two years back and found that it did NOT like full sun a tad too late. The original plant has never really prospered but it did throw two offsets early on, one a near albino that is still attached to the sulking (and small) mother, the other vividly variegated and much improved in terms of vigor. I now have these three growing in a a lightly shaded greenhouse but I have noted that they are rather slow even there - comparable to outside growth of some of the showy rosetted Orthophytum spp. I take heart that you took so long to flower yours...makes me feel less incompetent ;^)

Cheers,

Jay

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi Channin,
    Well worth waiting for.Big and Beautiful
    Having a much cooler climate than you mine flowered in 1/3 the time but it was only a 1/3 the size as well.
    Jay,I grew mine in quite a lot of sun.The part that amazed me is I left it outside in minus degree temps in winter with no ill effects and it looked lovely when it flowered.So far I have 3 variegated pups and 2 non-variegated.
    Cheers Fran

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jay & Fran (^_^)"

It seem this fussy warrior loves our tropical climate and grows more
    vigourously in full sun. Mine is 2.5 feet in diameter but never have pup.

{{gwi:451374}}

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Simply beautiful!

• sdandy
    15 years ago

If it didn't look so beautiful, your garden would look like some kind of nightmare. ...At least for anyone moving in any kind of rush. Probably best to move through your garden gingerly. A good way to encourage people to take their time and enjoy it!

Do you have an automatic watering system set up? Or how often do you water in your climate?

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lyndi (^_^)"

;^)) ....LOL Hi Andy,
    I agree with you, even me while I took the skink this morning Oooch...

{{gwi:451375}}

{{gwi:451376}}

{{gwi:451377}}

I don't have any auto watering systems, normally I water my plant twice
    or three times a week with tab water like my friend, Gift helping me here.

{{gwi:451378}}

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

what a nice little fellow sitting on your Galactic warrior

*writes Galactic warrior on my wish list now*...lol

Thanks Chanin..always welcoming to see your garden of spikes, many of which i even believe to be incredible...awesome

Cheers Germaine

• nebu
    15 years ago

awesome pictures. What is that a skink? Btw, that GW is beautiful in that tribal terracotta head.

• purplestar
    15 years ago

Well I know what kind of hat I'll be wearing to the Melbourne Cup race (famous Oz yearly horse race) LOL!

Channin your photos are always fabulous! Congratulations!

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

OK, one newbie question -I am just wondering if xNeophytum Lisanne Kiehl has the same colouration?

• jaga
    15 years ago

A truely out standing magnificent plant stephania. Thanks for posting this. Love the wild life as well.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

lyndi_whye Lisanne gets to be a larger plant that GW(up to 3 ft)The color is great. The whole plant flushes a neon pink at bloom. It gets larger I believe because its not variegated like GW. A nice addition to any collection

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

HDD, thanks for the info! Neon Pink! Sounds like something I can't live without.
    I will add one to my order list to Michael.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions