Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy?

Posted by gargaile (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 14:25

Hello All,

I'm starting to like bromeliads. Any place to buy them other than HomeDepot, Lowes and local societies here in Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks ....Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy?

Michaels Bromeliads is my favorite source for selection and prices. He will be leaving soon on a buying/speaking tour for 2 weeks. Contact link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Michaels Bromeliads

o

Gary, though I live on the other side of the country, I've found the best 'shoppable' bromeliads come from plant sales at local universities, botanical gardens and/or parks.

Here's a (Florida) local example: http://gardens.usf.edu/events/upcoming/

The real benefit of such events is finding a great mix of cheap, easy, or more specialized varieties.

I went from a naive would-be gardener who thought Bromeliads were just a mosquito resort to owning close to 100, nearly all of them purchased through plant sales.

o

Many plants sold by parks and gardens are mis-named so I shy away from those. Bromeliad society clubs can be a good source but don't build a large collection and buy one cheap plant that my infect the whole bunch. Buy from good growers who sell disease, pest free, correctly labeled plants.

o

It really depends on the event. When I visit (for example) The USF plant fair in Tampa, I run into 3-5 different vendors who specialize in Bromeliads and have their own websites and shops.

It can be an iffy proposition purchasing from some random gardener in a trade, and sites like Michaels are great when you know what you're looking for, but for a novice fan I don't think you can beat seeing, holding and asking questions about broms in person, which is why I suggested official plant sales and fairs as a great jumping on point.

o

People like Michaels can also save a newbie from buying plants that may not grow well in their conditions and save them money in the long run until they become more experienced growing broms. Michael makes himself available by phone most days Monday thru Friday to help customers.

o

Check out RainForest Flora in Torrance, CA. They mainly sell tillandsias but they also have bromeliads too. They have a web site and you can also go to youtube to watch a tour of their nursery/store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here