Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O. Gurkenii Question

Posted by JGW3 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:02

Really new at this... Really new! I bought an O. Gurkenii about a year and a half ago. Its doubled in size and all seems to be good except one thing. Its not brown anymore. For the first time (for me at least) my plant is getting greener and I think its a problem. I am in W TN so I am afraid to stick it outside just yet. Its been indoors about 6 months now and steadily turning more and more green. I really want that awesome brown coloration back. Not enough light? Also, at what point does this plant usually send out the brach with the baby flowers/plants on it? This is my favorite plant so far and really would like to see if I cant get it to flower. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O. Gurkenii Question

If its not enought light...test this by moving the plant as close to a window that gets bright indirect light and see if the color starts to return. Dont put in in direct sun until it acclimates. The other reason for green is to much fertilizer but since its winter that souldn't be an issue.

o

• Posted by JGW3 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 9:06

Thanks Hotdiggetydam,

Here's a picture of the plant. I had it under a light most of the winter and recently (about a month) stuck it in this window. The light was nothing more than a lamp with CFL light bulb. I have not fertilized since the fall. But, I have no idea how or what I should be using. If you don't mind can take a look at the picture, I have noticed some marks on the leaves that can be seen in the pic. They look as if you could wash them off but have 0 texture to them and seem to be discoloration in the leaves themselves. Again thanks for the response and any tips you could offer to help out are really appreciated.

John

o

Think of the brown colour as a sun-tan . You pale up over winter as does your ortho ;-)
Don't forget to use a sunscreen .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here