Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrdavid_gw

Please Help ID Bromeliad Purchased from a Garage Sale

mrdavid
15 years ago

I purchased this brom from a garage sale for $2. Could someone help me ID it? When I took it out of its original pot, it had a bunch of thin roots ... way more than my primera. Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:452303}}

Comments (14)

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Til Creation would be my first glance first thought guess; but there are far more knowledgable folk on here than me...

• gonzer_gw
    15 years ago

Kind of a crap shoot as this stage but 'Creation' is as good a guess for now. How come we don't have garage sales like that? 2$?

• sdandy
    15 years ago

If you scored a 'Creation' for $2 I'd be extremely jealous. Is it for sure a tilly?

• mrdavid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew I should've bought all 6 that were there! I'll go with Creation for now and when it matures, I'll post a follow-up to be certain. Thanks for all the responses.

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Agree; a cheap score at 2$...anyway here is mine flowering..I just love this one. Flowering still now after about going 10 weeks.
    {{gwi:452304}}

{{gwi:452305}}

• nebu
    15 years ago

That is a very cool Tillandsia, I love brom flowers that last. Bill's only last about 5 days, and peak for one day.

Why is it that Till flowers last upwards of 6 months or more?

• mrdavid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bromaholic, your brom pics are beautiful. Could you tell me what you used as substrate? I mixed Miracle Gro with a little bit of peat moss and pebbles. Also, could you give me advice on how to care for it? I would really appreciate it.

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Thanks mrdavid; I used orchid mix for this Til. 75% large chunky bits that are for Cattleya & Dendrobium and 25% smaller pieces as used for Cymbidium orchids. As long as it is not compacted or too much soil so that is does not retain water too readily. I have since moved to Coconut husk chunks and am finding that Broms are rotting like made it in!

Sorry I do not know of Miracle Gro? Maybe not available in Australia.

When potted up I simply hung my Creation up high in my bush house - no shade cloth; rather a lattice type wood (NOT CCA/Copper treated) cover. I live in a high-ish rainfall area and that was all it got really.

I am glad this one flowered so beautifully; as it was the one that started the dreaded scale in my collection - so all has been forgiven; and a lot learnt!

Enjoy

• mrdavid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bromaholic, thanks for the great advice! Last question ... What size pot is yours planted in (height and width)?

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

I use orchid pots - squat - with ample drainage holes mostly 140-200ml

• mrdavid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gotcha. Thanks for all your input.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi guys, interesting thread and great pics. But bromaholic, you've put broms in coconut husk and they are rotting like crazy? I've just put a whole bunch of them into coconut husk chips as well, including my prized first pup off c. Tiger and an Ae. Samurai that cost me an arm and several legs! AAAAAgghhhh! Please say it ain't so! Cheers, Paul

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Hey Paul...nah I got my rotting and rooting mixed up mate..definitely rooting. IT AINT SO!

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi bromaholic, Whew! Thanks for getting back to me - really appreciate it. I set up a little experiment about 6 weeks ago to compare root growth in coconut husk chips and the pinebark I normally use. Great to hear of your results. I'll probably pull mine out of their pots in a couple of weeks - so I'll let you know how they go. Cheers, Paul

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions