Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

What are they called ?

splinter1804
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Some time back I posted some pic's of some seedlings I had grown from seed taken from a plant of xNiduregelia 'Something Special' x ????????

The plant had just finished flowering when I purchased it so I have no idea of the identity of the pollen parent of the seedlings, and when the seed matured I just planted a few for the "hell of it".

You may remember in the previous pic's most of the seedling looked just like skinny leaved Neo's with coloured centres (most of which have since gone into the bin) The three pic's below are an example of what most of them looked like.

{{gwi:448176}}

{{gwi:448174}}

{{gwi:448178}}

However there were three other plants that just remained a drab olive "nothing type colour" and it was only because the leaves were a bit wider that I put them aside to see what would become of them. Again below is an example of the colour and leaf shape of the remaining plants I speak of.

{{gwi:448163}}

Below are the latest pic's of the same plants (sorry about the cobwebs) which have now taken on a lot of the similarities of the mother plant in shape and texture, but lighter colouring and I intend keeping them to see what the flowers are like and to see if any improvement is forthcoming with the next generation of pups.

{{gwi:452364}}

{{gwi:452366}}

{{gwi:452369}}

In my opinion,I think the first lot have the traits of the pollen parent which I now suspect was a Neo. and the second lot obviously have the traits of the seed parent, the xNiduregelia.

My question is, what are they called, are they still xNiduregellias? What do you think?

All the best, Nev.

Comments (8)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

I don't know what they are Nev except beautiful plants anyone would be proud to own.
    They do have the look of xNiduregelia 'Something Special'
    I suppose they would still be xNiduregelia since they call them by taht name no matter who the seed parent is.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone.

I've resurrected this old thread just to show some other interesting results to come from this bi-generic cross. The three plants pictured were destined for the bin due to lack of colour but I thought I'd first try something that had worked with my Billbergias, and hung them high up just beneath the beige shade cloth roof so they got extra light and the result was most unexpected. They have now had a reprieve and won't be binned after all.

All the best, Nev.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

Very nice. Good thing the fact that, "the leaves were a bit wider", caught your eye. Thanks for the update.

tj

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi
    everyone.

Here’s
    a little bit more to the above story.

This
    year I crossed some pollen from Neo. ‘Shelldance’ onto three flowers of the
    last plant in the above three pictures and eventually seed capsules formed and
    when ripe were full of seed which I sowed.

I
    was looking forward to a very interesting result but am disappointed to say
    that after three weeks the greater percentage of the seed has now germinated but
    disappointingly all appears to be albinos. (See pic.)

I
    know that if you make a cross using an albo-marginated plant as the seed parent
    the resulting seed will usually produce albinos, but I don’t know if the
    reverse cross would have the same result i.e. if the albo-marginated plant was
    used as a pollen parent. Can someone please tell me what the outcome would be
    in this case?

As
    Neo. ‘Shelldance’ has coloured margins (albeit not albo) would the same result
    apply, even though it was used as a pollen parent?

Also
    is it usual for bigeneric plants which are supposed to be sterile, to produce
    albino seedlings? I would have thought if they were sterile they wouldn’t have
    produced any seed at all.

I’d
    like to hear from anyone who can give me some answers to these queries.

All
    the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    8 years ago

Give the seedlings a lil time. No direct sunlight, just good light. I have a lot of Shelldance crosses and early on they appeared albino but later were not. I learned this after burning a few seedlings with direct sun. Its possible you have self pollinated seedlings. Time will tell.

• rickta66
    8 years ago

What does the flower look like Nev?

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone.

Rick - The flower, looks just like a Neo, that's why I asked the original question of "What are they called"?

From what I've since been told, it doesn't matter whether they look like a xNiduregelia or a Neoregelia; if one parent is a x Niduregelia they are still bi-generics and are xNiduregelias.

I'm posting a picture of the flower from the plant which produced the batch of seed mentioned above.

All the best, Nev.

SORRY EVERYONE, FOR SOME REASON I'M UNABLE TO UPLOAD THE PICTURE, I'LL TRY AGAIN LATER.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone.

Still no luck uploading the picture. I've contacted HOUZZ and requested help so there's nothing more that I can do; sorry.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions