Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are they called ?

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 16:07

Hi everyone,

Some time back I posted some pic's of some seedlings I had grown from seed taken from a plant of xNiduregelia 'Something Special' x ????????

The plant had just finished flowering when I purchased it so I have no idea of the identity of the pollen parent of the seedlings, and when the seed matured I just planted a few for the "hell of it".

You may remember in the previous pic's most of the seedling looked just like skinny leaved Neo's with coloured centres (most of which have since gone into the bin) The three pic's below are an example of what most of them looked like.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

However there were three other plants that just remained a drab olive "nothing type colour" and it was only because the leaves were a bit wider that I put them aside to see what would become of them. Again below is an example of the colour and leaf shape of the remaining plants I speak of.

Photobucket

Below are the latest pic's of the same plants (sorry about the cobwebs) which have now taken on a lot of the similarities of the mother plant in shape and texture, but lighter colouring and I intend keeping them to see what the flowers are like and to see if any improvement is forthcoming with the next generation of pups.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In my opinion,I think the first lot have the traits of the pollen parent which I now suspect was a Neo. and the second lot obviously have the traits of the seed parent, the xNiduregelia.

My question is, what are they called, are they still xNiduregellias? What do you think?

All the best, Nev.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are they called ?

I don't know what they are Nev except beautiful plants anyone would be proud to own.
They do have the look of xNiduregelia 'Something Special'
I suppose they would still be xNiduregelia since they call them by taht name no matter who the seed parent is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here