Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

My first attempt

splinter1804
15 years ago

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share some pic's of results of my first "dabble" into the world of hybridization Neoregelias.

Although I can see the resemblance of mum and dad in some of the offspring, I think others may be due to the helping hand of ants.

Concentrica who was the Mum.

{{gwi:452495}}

This is Dad, which I bought as an unflowered seedling of[Neo. Charm x Neo. Crackerjack]

{{gwi:452496}}

This is a sample of the kids:

{{gwi:452498}}

{{gwi:452500}}

{{gwi:452501}}

{{gwi:452502}}

{{gwi:452503}}

{{gwi:452504}}

{{gwi:452505}}

{{gwi:452506}}

{{gwi:452507}}

{{gwi:452509}}

I can see the similarity to Dad in this one.

{{gwi:452511}}

and I can also see a similarity to Mum in this one

{{gwi:452513}}

However, because this was my first attempt, I didn't think to tag the 6 flowers I pollinated and when I went to remove the berries, there were 11 in total; so the ants were probably responsible for the others and consequently I didn't know which was which, so I planted some seeds from each of the berries.

I'm still amazed at the colour varietion and quite satisfied with the outcome.

What do you think? All the best, Nev.

Comments (16)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice!!!

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I'll take a #01.

• cache
    15 years ago

Wow, Nev, an amazing amount of diversity for your first go round. Nice job--keep it up and keep us posted!

• neomea
    15 years ago

Lovely Nev....any plans on a few registrations in the future?

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Good deal, Nev, now you're hooked! #1 and #12 look like keepers to me. #3 has potential too, it reminds me a bit of N. Sherlette Shiigi. The only one I'd tell you to get rid of is #2, which appears to be susceptible to disease. There's usually a few like that in every grex, best to cull them out.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi Nev - great to take some right through and great to get such interesting variations. Some nice plants there. Cheers, Paul

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Very nice! How long ago did you do the cross? I'm a fan of #3, although I guess you'd have to see how the next generation turns out.

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

hmmmmmm....yummy attempt...number 6 and 7 do it for me
    great job
    good on ya Nev
    I love seeing pics like that

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

And #1, #3 and #12 are my favourites, Nev. Very nice and thanks for showing such a lot of the same cross. Helps me understand them better!

Japie

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Hey Nev, very nice...#3 & #12 are my picks. Also interested to know how long its taken you to get these hybrids from seed to flowering.

Cheers, Andrew.

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Nev,

I have only recently tried some Neo crosses, I can't wait for them to grow up after see your pictures.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Rick

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

How can you tell just by looking at a cross that it may be especially suseptable to disease? Is there a certain characteristic to look for? I have a couple I may like to cross. What do I use? Tooth pick? I am a *beginner* at this.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Hort, I just used the pointy end of a pair of stainless steel splinter forceps, but I don't see why a toothpick wouldn't do as well. Maybe Lisa or someone else with more experience can better answer your question.

Mike and Devo - Sorry I didn't answer your questions about how long it took from sowing seed to flowering (CRAFT Club you know).

Firstly let me say as it was my first attempt, I didn't record any dates as I didn't expect any to grow to maturity.

Secondly, I had a lot of pitfalls along the way; cats knocking over pots, the babies getting flooded etc. etc. but I think the first lot flowered in about three years and the second lot the following season.

I know that's not good by experts' standards but I think the next ones will mature quicker now that I've sorted out some of the problems.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Does the search engine for this forum have a 2 year time limit? I'm searching for that thread where I posted step-by-step instructions with pictures of the Neo pollination process, but I can't find it now. I'm pretty sure it came up before when I did a search for "pollination", but I didn't see any search results this time dated earlier than 2007, so I'm wondering if that means it's lost in the void. Not gonna redo it, but if anyone has it bookmarked, maybe they can post a link.

Re: the question about foliar disease: when you see little brown or yellow spots on the leaves that don't look like normal foliage markings, that's not a good sign. It may not kill the plant or spread to other plants, it's just a congenital weakness and something to be avoided. Chances are that if certain seedlings in the grex have that and the others don't, they're not likely to outgrow it and it's best to just throw them out. Definitely do not breed to that plant or you'll likely pass the trait along.

It's not always obvious which foliage markings indicate disease and which are simply normal pigmentation for that type of plant. With Neos like concentrica and similar species it can be particularly difficult since they do tend to make darkly pigmented splotches that have a "sunken" feel to them. That is normal, but when you see a brown pockmark in the center of each splotch, as with seedling #2 above, that tells you something else is going on there. In this case the surrounding pigment has been generated as a response to the damaged leaf cells. Contrast that with seedling #4 where there is no damaged area associated with the dark spots. One looks healthy, the other doesn't. Just something you develop an eye for over time.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

I have it bookmarked and updated it to make it 'alive' again, but it does not seem to work. But quite recently some one updated a thread on pinapples of 2005 and it was brought forward. So, mayby my link is just slow.

Here is the link anyway. There's quite a bit of reading to do before you get to Lisa's Master Class on Pollination! That was what got me going!

Japie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Thanks, Japie! I don't know why your added comment didn't bring it up to the top of the page, but I think I'll add this link to HDD's other posted thread to keep them together.