Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisn82

Hey, whats this?

chrisn82
15 years ago

Some kinda clear slimy crap. At first I thought someone dropped some of that water crystal stuff in there but Im sure Ive seen it before on some of my other pots.

{{gwi:452581}}

{{gwi:452582}}

{{gwi:452583}}

C

Comments (9)

• User
    15 years ago

You've got snails.

• rickta66
    15 years ago

I tried experimenting with water crystals in my Brom cups a while back to control mosquitos, it looks very similar to how my water crystals went over time.

Maybe there is a wetting agent in your mix.

Rick

• pinkbroms
    15 years ago

More information required, is the slimey crap in or just on top of your mix or is it coming from the leaf axils or the base of the plant.Is it a gum or a soft jelly like substance.What is the make-up of your mix as it appears to be very barky(wood chip).Please let your mix dry a bit & re-submit photo, this will help show the extent of the slimey crap.The slimey crap wont hurt your plant just yet, so don't panic, (I'll let you know when it's going to blow up)just kidding. It glows red first.

• neomea
    15 years ago

I have seen that crap too, though in smaller quantaties. What the heck is it?

• chrisn82
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinkin someone just walked by and dropped some of the WC into the pot. But I remember back I had a few Neos have this gelatinous material near the caudex. Its only on the soil. I think I remember hearing somewhere this type of stuff is a fungus? Hope thats not what it is after reading all that stuff about Dyckia YG fungusing easily.

I got this plant from someone else so Im not sure of the mixture composition. Im just gonna wash and repot the plant and throw on a little liquid fungicide. BTW this is the only plant with this jelly.

C

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

It doesn't look fungal to me, Chris. Many broms do ooze a gelatinous substance when they are injured, but if it was that you should be able to see where it was coming from the leaves or stem, not just sitting out on the soil surface like that. I'd try changing the soil and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, call Ghostbusters! It's probably ectoplasm. ;-)

• User
    15 years ago

OK, I was looking at the reflection from the light. It does kinda look like a soil polymer used for water retention.

• pinkbroms
    15 years ago

What the slimey heck crap is
    The heck is not all bad,it is actually good stuff,not a fungus, not caused by an injury, just good healthy slimey crap, we'll get to that.
    No extra photo's' but you basically answered my questions & gave your self part of the answer.
    #1 The mix, it doesn't look good for the variety of plant, far to wet & boggy looking,they need a freer draining mix, more gravel & sandy type,say for cactus & succulents type mix. Check all your plants & select the one's that are growing the best & have a look at their mix.Maybe this is the mix you should grow all your like type plants in.Develop a mix that suits your growing conditions,after that every time you buy a new plant, repot it into your own mix which will suite your watering regime.You were on the right track, (maybe just not the right reason)yes treat with a fungicide.
    #2 NO I'm pretty sure it's not a fungus or a slime mould as most slime moulds I have seen are either yellow, cream, red or a mix & look like the head of a milkshake, all frothy, you have slimey crap not frothy crap.
    #3 If you had an injury you could expect a dead mushy brown patch, not beautiful slimey crap.
    #4 If you did have slime mould it is not particularly harmful to your plant, just unsightly, washing it off is enough.
    #5 Maybe water crystals were in the mix when you bought the plant, only you can work that one out,that's why we change our mix to a mix we know.
    #6 THE answer -- slimey crap, gelitinous substance.
    When we feed our plants they only absorb nutrients in the first three hours after feeding (so I'm told)the excess has to go somewhere.Most tank type Broms collect matter between their leaves which is dissolved by the enzymes in the leaves. The process involves the jelly like substance exuded by the inner faces of the sheaths.Normally the leaves absorb all the nutrients, but when there is to much it has to go somewhere to keep the water clean, hence out goes jelly crap, it's only proteins Guys.
    Hope I didn't bore you with all that, as that is the best as I know it about your crap. It's all good,just don't over feed to much.

• chrisn82
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just remembered the person I got this plant from said she uses those water retention polymer beady deals. Everything regardless of what it is gets the same mix and the plant in question was repotted last night into a bigger pot to yay!

C

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions