Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Tillandsia THIS colorful?

Posted by aveo5 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 18:31

Hi All. I have a few 'air plants' in my yard in the trees....they are ok, nothing to get thrilled about. But I just saw some on Ebay, called 'Tillandsia Ionantha Air Plants', and they show a picture of a super colorful small plant clump that is red/gold/yellow/pink,it is beautiful. I think it is a touched up picture...is this Tillandsia THAT colorful when it blooms? Or is it a touched up picture? I cant believe that it has that much color. Does it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Tillandsia THIS colorful?

If you are asking about a plant why did you put a link in for carpet?

o

Yes, Tillandsia ionantha is that colorful. There are many hybrids of it now that have a variety of colors. Do a Google Images search for it and you will find many photographs. There are others such as the red form of Tillandsia capitata that have striking foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

o

There are ionanthas that blush red, yellow, salmon and orange when ready for blooming. Many Tillandsias have this trait as it is used as an attractant for their pollinators since rarely do Tillandsia flowers have an aroma. An example is T. bulbosa which can live in the darker regions of riverbanks. It blushes bright red to attract hummingbirds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here