Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cahac

Tilllandsia ID

cahac
10 years ago

Need a Tilly ID.
I bought these as Variabilis.but have been told that they are not
That they are Utriaculata.. That the leaves on the Variabilis are real soft. The leaves on the small 1's do have a grassy look & feel. but the larger plants have a harder leather feel.
i have checked the distribution of Varia and it is not supposed to grow in the Fl Co these came from "Pinnalis" Co. the Utria does grow there..
this pic is of the largest 1 i got. It is a little over 20" across and not full grown yet. so it seems to be too large for Varia. but i googeled some pics and a few of them look like what i have.tho
cliff

Comments (10)

• cahac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is 4 diff sizes on a branch
    cliff

• cahac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and this is a clump
    Have 5 of these and the plants are from 1" to 7"
    The site also says Variabilis doesn't grow in clumps, that they are single plants

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

gonz might can answer this one best. Flowers will tell all also.
    Here is a great sight to start researching any bromeliad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromleiads

• Kimquilts
    10 years ago

It looks like Adpressiflora. I find all the sizes you show growing in the bush in the Bahamas.

• cahac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,
    Don't think it is Adpressi. It doesn't show it growing in Fl. I goggled the pics and it looks a lot different in growth & shape. I have another Variabilis and Utris coming shortly from another source,. will check them side by side when they get here.
    Thanks--Cliff

• User
    10 years ago

The heftiness of the plant leads me to say T. fasciculata as T. utriculata has longer leaves and is not quite as bulky.

• cahac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gonz,
    I have at least 2 for sure I bought a red spike a yellow spike and a y & r spike maybe 3 different Fasciculatas the bases on the fasci's look more loose than the 1 i'm trying to id
    the 1st pic the pr on the left are fasci and the plant on the right is my noid it has a normal looking base
    cliff

• cahac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is my largest bluish fasci the leaves are shaped different and at the base the leaves are not as wide as on the Noid
    which has a sharp drop in width about at the halfway point
    of the leaf and on the Fasci has a continual drop in width size
    to the tip
    .the smallest plants in the clumps are really grass like
    cliff

• Kimquilts
    10 years ago

Cliff,
    Your right. I looked further. The local botanist shows this as t. Utriaculata. Check out http://www.levypreserve.org. utriaculata are quite stiff and leathery. And get big, a couple feet across like this guy. Yellow spike.
    Kim

• User
    10 years ago

Kim, T. utriculata has a many-branched green inflorescence, very tall yet not showy. The T. fasciculata complex has inflorescences that range from red to yellow to almost orangish. T. utriculata can get up to 3' across while fasciculata will be smaller.

Sponsored
More Discussions