Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

N. Amazing Grace

User
15 years ago

How many different forms are out there? On the FCBS, the 2nd plant: "unusual form", is downright incredible while the ones from Keith at bottom are great too. Any photos of member's plants?

Comments (19)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I have never grown any 2 that were alike...minds of their own but all beautiful

• cache
    15 years ago

Grace is one of my favorite Neos--not flashy but she has a quiet beauty that I love. I have grown out 3 generations and they all look like the usual form on FCBS. What a thrill it would be to produce a pup in the unusual form!

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Guys

Gonz: Funny you started this topic!!!

On saturday I cut my first sport off of one of my Amazing Graces. Happy happy!!!

The pup has a purple margin and has most of its variegation to one side of the leaf.

Pic?

Dennis

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let's see it Dennis!

• neomea
    15 years ago

100% I'll take one this arvo when I get home from the "coal face"!

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi all

Well looking at other pics of AG this little chappie might not be all that sporty after all. I never took notice but mom also looks like the pup pictured below.

Oh well.....
    {{gwi:453253}}

• neomea
    15 years ago

Oh another question.

How difficult is it to produce these purple striated plants? I have two seedlings that have this trait but it will be interesting to see if they look any different from their Grace Darling mother. We all know AG, pinstripe and code red but what other nice purple striata plants are there?

Dennis

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Here's my standard form of 'Amazing Grace'. A couple of mother plants looking somewhat tatty now, but they've produce a couple of nice pups.

{{gwi:453254}}

And here's a pic' of 'Amazing Grace' Dark Form, unfortunately I've been feeding it to try and encourage faster growth, & pup production so it has lost much of it's colour & impact, however, you can get the idea that it's almost a reverse of the standard colour pattern, with green stripes on a dark leaf.

{{gwi:453255}}

This photo is of the plant 'Red Romance' which is very similar to many of the striated radial reds, but it does tend to have a few wider red striations as well. If a pup is produced at the base of a leaf with a wide red band, then the pup can come out like this.

{{gwi:453256}}

Dennis, I've done a number of crosses using some of these fine red striated neo's, & they are very good at passing on the red line trait to their seedlings, whether used as the pollen parent, or seed mother. However the markings in Amazing Grace seem to behave differently in hybridising than these fine red striated neo's. I've also got a list of all the red striated neo's that I know of...so if you're interested I could email it to you.

Cheers, Andrew.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Andy

Ja please send....Oh and thanks for the info and pics!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Gonz and everyone,
    Sorry I took so long, but I had misplaced this pic. of one of my Amazing Graces which coloured up before it was properly mature.

We were a bit short of entries at our spring show and I put it in as a "table filler"

{{gwi:453257}}

All the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi Nev, great colour intensity and lots of red! I had one last year that looked terrific for several months - almost yellow with lots of red striations and really bright, then the leaves burnt off badly as the winter sun dropped below the roof line (just through 30% shadecloth on the front), so I moved it back into a more shaded spot and it promptly went green with not much contrast in the pattern. Haven't worked out my plan of attack yet for the pups when they come off, but I'd be really interested in what sort of lighting people find best. Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Paul,
    Mine is growing in an old converted fern house under the original 50% black shade cloth roof which is about 30 years old. It's hanging about 2' down from the shade cloth and facing north.

The east, west and north walls are all 50% green shade cloth.

All the best, Nev.

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

I thought I would post a pic of my Amazing grace. i took it this morning
    {{gwi:453258}}
    This one recieves the 70% cream shadlecloth with extra cover during summer.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Thanks Nev and Germaine, that gives me something to aim at. Germaine they're lovely plants as always and every leaftip perfect - my Nirvana! Cheers, Paul

• sunshine_qld
    15 years ago

Paul sometimes I plant extra plants that get full sun till after midday. The mother often burns but the pups are sun tolerant. If you get a few pups try your 30% shade with one of them.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks. A varied plant indeed!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

couple more pups
    {{gwi:453259}}

{{gwi:453260}}

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Thanks Paul:)

Hey there sunshine qld! Did you recieve my email?

HDD I love that very red striped one and the red and white spotty brom near the AG

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi sunshine, I do have a few pups to play with that should be big enough in spring, so I'll give that a go.

HDD, that red one is an absolute stunner. What fun when you get something like that coming through!

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions