Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

unintentional feeding?

User
15 years ago

I've often wondered why my Billbergias never seemed to have that certain 'pizzazz' that some of those posted here do. Today it dawned on me that the spray drift from feeding my Tillandsias has been wafting down upon my terrestrials. I use a Birchmier backpack sprayer and usually spray about 4 gallons (15 litres) of mix on the tills which are all located above the pots. I'm sure the insignificant but frequent mistings of fert haven't helped my cause. Well, today I started covering everything with plastic, I hope it works.

Comments (12)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Becareful with the plastic that could cause another problem

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I gently lay it over using the sturdier-leaved plants as supports. It's only on for a few minutes.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Gonz - All of my Bill's lost their colour a couple of years back now due to unintentional feeding also.

An interstate grower of nice coloured Bill's told me to give them the occasional feed of Potash to enhance their colour.

A local friend told me where I could get Potash cheap from a Dairy Co-op where they bought fertilizers in bulk and re-bagged it themselves and sold it much cheaper than the other stores.

A couple of months after I used it all my Bill's started losing colour and eventually finished up green. It wasn't until I accidently smelled it that I realised it had been wrongly labelled and was really Superphosphate!

I guess this is what happen when you try to cut corners, it comes back and bites you on the bum.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

a big pinch or two of Coco chips and coco peat are good sources of natural potash..

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips Nev and Hd.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BTW, where can you buy water-soluble K? The closest I've seen is a 13-0-44 Potassium nitrate sold as tree stump remover but that's even got too much N.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Only one I found is a fish emulsion 0-0-7

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All the fish I see is usually around 5-0-0 or 4-1-1.

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

The foliage may get "washed out", but I'll bet they bloom pretty nicely when the time comes. I've been growing my Bills. hard- almost no nitrogen- using a fish emulsion based 0-10-10 fertilizer. Gonz- the product I find here in Michigan is called "Alaska (brand) Morbloom". I've thought to experiment this summer with "Algoflash Geranium" plant food. It has a 4N-6P-8K formula. Has anyone else ever tried using it on their broms?

I do suspect that at least some of the Bills. need at least a bit of nitrogen though, to help make food for the plant to bloom. I've had a 'Domingos Martins' for 10 years. It's made plenty of pups, but I have yet to see it flower.

Nev, there must have been something besides just superphosphate in that mislabeled fertilizer! Usually, if the plant goes totally green, then the prime suspect is excessive nitrogen.

Paul

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Turns out that regular Azalea, Rhododendron, Camellia food @ 0-10-10 will do the trick.

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Excuse me, I am new and have a question: I have two Crypts., one Tillandsia, one vriesa and one guzmania. From my Hort. books and, especially this thread, I have come to realize that Broms are very sensitive when it comes to feeding. May I please have some advice on feeding my Broms? Thanks!

• exotica
    15 years ago

Here's the low down on Potash (also known as Sulphate of Potash or Potassium Sulphate) for anyone that's interested. There are 3 common forms of potassium that you can buy. One is natural Potash, sometimes called fertiliser grade, which is a creamy coloured powder. This is great for spreading on the garden, avoiding any going into the cups of broms.

The other form of Potassium sulphate is often called technical or hydroponic grade. This is refined into a soluble white crystal that leaves no residue when dissolved. This is what you should use for foliar feeding. It is the most expensive form, but also the most pure.

The one to avoid is Potassium chloride, also known as Muriate of Potash. This has a high salt index and can be damaging to a lot of plants, as well as to soil micro-organisms.

Sponsored
More Discussions