Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No pineapple fruit!

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:48

This pineapple is 2 years and 3 months old and is still not producing! any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No pineapple fruit!

My 2 red pineapples flowered this year. They would have been about that age too. It will happen.

o

They need warmth. They take about 18 months to flower, if it's cold they could take any amount longer depending on just how cold. And being in direct sunlight also helps. Fertilising with a weak solution of seaweed or fish based fertilisers is also good.

o

its in a greenhouse, though it is fairly cool in the winter but very very hot and humid in the summer and in direct sun all year. I feed it the water soluble fertilizer but i will try the seaweed or fish base

o

They normally flower and fruit in the winter so if the temps are extra cool then it could be hampering it. Remember to keep the fertiliser weak, it's the temperature that's your main issue. Another thing that comes to mind, they like acid conditions in the soil rather than alkaline, try to maintain low pH. My best pineapples (fruit) that I grew were in soil with a pH of 5.3

o

In Qld they are grown in full sun. Now would be a good time to acclimatise as your weather gets warmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here