Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

Boring, rainy day

bromadams
14 years ago

It was a dull, boring, rainy day. I did manage to take a few picture at lunch between storms.

Tillandsia utriculata that is showing some color change and looks like it wants to give me an inflorescence. This guy fell out of my Gumbo Limbo tree a few weeks ago, so I just set it in an orchid basket on the patio.

{{gwi:453645}}

Ae pectinata growing in an orchid basket. I love the colors.

{{gwi:453646}}

Seed grown Ae orlandiana, almost 2 years old.

{{gwi:453647}}

Comments (15)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well thats not to bad for a dull boring day ,lets see what you can do on a bright sunny day as well, Love the Ae, pectinata , nice plants , Jack

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Good growth & markings on that orlandiana Nick, espec as it's not even 2 yrs old.

Orchid baskets must be the way to grow them, I've not seen that nice pale centre on a pectinata before. If it keeps that as it comes into flower, & develops the pink flush, it'll be quite a sight!

Cheers, Andrew.

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

love the Prlandiana - well done! Did you grow out many from seed?

Kristan

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I started with 30 seedlings and now I'm down to 8. I'll probably give/trade away 5 more. It's hard to decide which ones to keep. I'm not sure if I like the darker ones, the pinker ones or the whiter ones or if it's just environmental differences. Anyway, they are all good.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi bromadams,

I love your Ae pectinata, what size is the orchid basket its growing in? It seems a much smaller plant than my pectinata and a paler colour as well. Is it the normal species or have you been playing mummies and daddies again?

You've now got me thinking that my plant may not be pectinata as it is about 1 meter to the tip of the inflorescence and was a much deeper colour before it faded.

The orlandiana looks great as well, always interesting colour combinations.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's in a 6" octagonal basket with a single wire hanger. The plant currently has an 18" wing span. I got it as a pup in August of last year and it's just your normal pectinata as far as I know. It didn't have the white center when I first potted it up.

First day in the basket:
    {{gwi:453648}}

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

"I'm not sure if I like the darker ones, the pinker ones or the whiter ones"

Then the thing to do is to keep the best representative of each type. No point in having a bunch of similar looking ones unless you are trying to breed a strain with a particular trait.

I like the pectinata too!

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Your pectinata looks very nice! It also looks very much like the Ae pectinate small form that I have - however, mine is not coloured up as nice as yours. Mine got a bit of slow release food some time ago. Are you growing yours hard?

This is what my 'normal' pectinata looked like a year before it flowered. The colour it got then was coming and going but always more as solid patches and a realy bright cerise pink. Of course, when it flowered it went totally bezurk. When mature, it was almost one meter in diameter

Aech pectinata:
    {{gwi:453649}}

{{gwi:453650}}

And here's my pectinata small form. 40cm in diameter and I think it reached its ultimate size.

Aech pectinata small form:
    {{gwi:453652}}

Japie

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

When you decide which 5 you are going to part with I might have to send you some cash and my address! ;-)

I hope you have another 'boring' day soon so we can see some more!

cheers
    Kristan

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are 3 orlandiana seedlings. The one on the right is the one in the photo above. The big green one in the middle must have been given too much shade and fertilizer.

{{gwi:453654}}

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

What's the maroony looking one in the background with the bamboo skewer? Looks like an orlandiana hybrid.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes it is a bamboo skewer. I find those things quite useful on floppy seedlings that are exposed to the elements.

All the plants in the back are from nursery collected seeds (right at 2 years old) and while I do have pictures of the 3 seed parents I don't know what the seedlings are other than they are probably all xQuesmea. I think I have 18 of them and I'll probably keep 3 or 4 but I haven't been growing them very well so that may change. I'm not a big xQuesmea fan.

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Love the Till utriculata!!

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The BSI has orlandiana seeds in the seed fund again. I don't know who donated the ones I planted. No way to know where these new ones came from unless you call Harvey and ask.

I have a friend who has lots of orlandianas that are full of seeds at his nursery but he has hummingbirds flying all over so I don't want those.

Here is a link that might be useful: BSI Seed Fund

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

cheers - looks like Ill have to become a member of the BSI sooner rather than later - some other seeds listed, as well as the Orlandiana's, that would be interesting to grow.

If your friend with the Orland. seeds has any spare to sell let me know - I don't mind too much if the hummingbirds have mixed the gene-pool - never know what they may have come up with!

all the best
    Kristan