Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromaloonie

Photo Shoot

bromaloonie
15 years ago

Howdy all.

This morning I went out to brom house, have not been out there for over a week.I saw some nice flowers peeking out at me....yipppeeeee...runs to grab camera because i had never had this aechmea come to flower so well before.

{{gwi:453712}}

{{gwi:453713}}

Along the way I spot Lila....an apple of my eye....lol

shes lookin mighty fine this time of year and it occured to me that I should really grab some nice shots of her

{{gwi:453714}}

So I pull her out and have a nice visual feast and a few shots right there and then...cant miss the moment I say....lol

{{gwi:453715}}

{{gwi:453716}}

Of course i took quite a few shots just incase i didnt quite get it right the first and second and third time...but i wont bore yas with too many of the same

brom...heheheee

I then start mixing her up around a few other broms near by, I also drag a couple from other parts of the brom house and put them together, change then round and snap away

{{gwi:453717}}

{{gwi:453718}}

{{gwi:453719}}

Slip some broms away and add a couple more...make a new setting...drooling all the way...LOL

{{gwi:453720}}

Shes an absolutely perfect model and deserves top pay...lol

although some of her model friends arnt too bad them selves either...hahahaaaa

{{gwi:453721}}

and just a couple of shots i took along the way that were nice

This is Purple Star which is another fave of mine who i bought from none other than Purple Star(Rossana) here in GW...lol

{{gwi:453722}}

How beautiful is the form....wow...love it

dont ya hate it when one leaf just isnt sitting right where ya need it and you dont realise until you get back to your computer and you have put all the broms back where they were originally living....lol

{{gwi:453723}}

{{gwi:453724}}

Comments (18)

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now wondering what others I can play with...LOL
    I should have loaded those pics bigger so you could have a better feast.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi bromaloonie, great pics again - always love to see them. Just love your arrangements as well - makes a great visual feast wen you combine them like that - a real art.

Out of interest, is that flowering chantinii a cv. "Stripes on Stripes"? (I have a part-grown one at home - wondering what the flower will be like). Cheers, Paul

• purplestar
    15 years ago

Ohhhhh yum yum yummy Bromaloonie!! you make me go all brom a loonie at the knees!

Is that the very same Lila I pointed to when I visited? if so, it is even more gorrrrrrrrrrrgeous now. And I love your Purple Star too! oh but of course ;-)

Cheers Rossana

• brom_todd
    15 years ago

Amazing plants as per usual - you've certainly got a talent for growing perfect broms. I have to admit to being a bit of a sucker for chantinii - I usually manage to end up with 100's of pics on my camera whenever they are in flower.

Thanks for taking the time to post your pics. Your threads are always worth checking out :-)
    Cheers, Todd

• max838
    15 years ago

This is really excellent
    Can you tell me the neo. of PIC 9 lower right corner ID?

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Bromaloonie,
    Beautiful plants as usual but I really love your Aechmea, something very special.

All the best, Nev.

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

Beautiful, extremely well grown Broms! While you're checking ID's, I would like to know the name of the Neo in PIC 9 in the lower left corner (the same plant that is adjacent to 'Lila' in photos 3,6,7, and 8)
    Thanks,
    Paul

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Paul I think that one was labeled 'Lavender lovely' and could be 'Royal Hawaiian' in an earlier thread.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everyone

Hiya Paul, The plants in that first shot are actually named differently, the one in the foreground is just labeled Chantinii and the one far away was tagged Chantinii seedling, neither of them said 'stripes on stripes ' sorry

AhHa,,,Yes Rossana, it sure was...thats lovely Lila...what a stunner on film and in the flesh...LOL

Hey Todd Thankyou and your very welcome....lol...I enjoy showing the pics too....when ya live out in the sticks like me away from civilisation its nice to pop on the puter and share what you see and what youve been doing.

Max, Yes that is a gorgeous little brom called 'KayJay'...always such a sweety, gets a pinkish cup when going into flower...so dreamy.

Hi Nev , im really falling for Aechmeas, they really bring a spark to the overall scene when viewing the broms all together.

Hi Paul(bromeliaddict), That little girl is 'Red Tips'. Very compact and tight . The first ones i purchased years ago were alot large in size , but the pups I grow are rather small but leafy and colourful.This one gets a purple/pink cup when coming into flower and during flower

Thanks for all your comments
    You all certainly have a way of making someones day

Cheers Germaine

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine,

As always your photo shoot is superb, and the colour and form of your broms is exceptional. You must have found the ideal conditions for each and every one of them.

In the first pic I notice you have a mix of green and cream shade cloth. I am in the process of building an igloo for my broms and want to use cream shade cloth. What percentage are you using? I am a little further down the coast from you, but think our weather/light conditions may be reasonably similar. Also it appears that all your babies are potted and sitting directly on the floor of your shade house, or are they elevated a little?

When I see your photos I turn green with envy, and burgundy; and hot pink; and scarlet; and...

I'm not exactly out in the sticks, but can relate to the joy of sharing our beloved broms with like-minded people. I thoroughly enjoy your beautiful photos. Thank you.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine
    Do you have pictures of the earlier 'Red tips'? I assume it was Concentrica red tips? None of mine look any where near like yours and I grow many Neo's very hard.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gee HDD? I have no idea mate. Ive just looked for red tips in the photo index and there is no such thing??
    Here in Australia all Red Tips ive seen in ebay have been all the same.I Would be very interested in seeing your Red tips.
    Later on this arvo if I get the chance I will muster up a few of my earlier pictures of Red tips and show you flowering.

Howdy Bromcrazy, My cream and green shadecloth is both 70%. During summer heat up here Ive had to just slip up some strips of extra shade 50% stuff for extra protection. If I had not have done that all my broms would be bleached out and burnt very badly.We put that up in December i think? and soon it will come down for the winter months
    Im now noticing that im getting a little pale in the the neo cups here and there due to our overcast days and rain this time of year(especially in the green shadlecloth section), but I would much prefer that then the bleaching effect...lol...as it wont take long for them to get colour back again when the green slip comes down.
    Yes all my broms are on the gravel ground. Some are elevated on upside down plastic pots to give the higher effect for display.
    Now If I was to do it all again, regarding the shadecloth percentage I would seriously think about going a tad stronger/heavier percentage? maybe like 80% possibly. The cream shadecloth is light, extremely light in colour so they wont worry about the % that much as the light gets thru for winter anyhow.I dont know if being up in the tablelands makes any difference to our condition similaries, but yes I reckon we would be very much the same.
    Hope somehow that this may help you.

If ever your in the area , do pop in wont you!!!
    Thankyou so much for your encouraging words and lovely comments and putting a smile on my face.
    I love coming here to share pics.

Cheers Germaine

• sunshine_qld
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine lovely shots of your plants.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi sunshine qld,Thanks,
    Your pine pup is doing beautifully here
    now that i know your home I will send you a new email
    Cheers Germaine

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

Hi Germaine,

Yes, that is a tremendous help, thank you. I think I'll take your advice and use 80% cloth right from the start. As you say, losing colour due to too little light is preferable to bleaching and scorching.

My broms have also faded due to the lack of sunshine we have experienced over the past couple of months, but it doesn't take long for them to colour up with a little more light.

Thank you for your invitation to pop in if ever up your way. That is very generous of you. It is not often I get that far up the coast these days, but will certainly keep you in mind and get in touch if the opportunity arises. Likewise you are more than welcome to visit if ever down this way. It is always a pleasure to have contact with people who are as brom-obsessed as I am. :)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I think you need some cold to get the color not just light. They always say that Singapore has dull broms because of the proximity to the equator.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou also bromcrazy for your invite, and yes if ever I am down that way I will certainly get in touch, that would be great.

I reckon your right bromadams, even though I live in the tropics, I also live high in the hills and we get a nice chill during winter time. I was also told that cold brings on the colour. My condtions must be almost perfect to be getting cool winters and humid summers

HDD, sorry ive taken so long to get this red tips pic in here, ive just updated my computer and all is new and had to wait to get old pics onto it.
    this is a pic of when i first purchased it
    {{gwi:453725}}
    and when it was in flower
    {{gwi:453727}}
    this one was not grown hard...but as you can see from pups from it, mine are grown hard?ie...no fert?

I have no idea in what you class as older Red Tips, im sorry this is the only Red Tips I know in Aussie.
    Anyone else have pics of their Red tips?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

hmmm... these photos look like the plant I grow called
    Neo coriacea

Sponsored
More Discussions