Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogboy7

Unknown brom

dogboy7
15 years ago

Just bought this plant at Wally World. It's labeled as crypthantes, which I think is wrong. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Neoregelia Fireball variegata

• flabrom
    15 years ago

It looks like Neoregelia 'Zoe" - and needs more light to bring out the red color.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

I agree with Flabrom that it looks very like Neoregelia 'Zoe'. The stolons look too short to be Fireball variegata, unless mine by that name is incorrectly labeled.

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I doubt the plant is Zoe. Maybe Eoz

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

I have purchased the same plant from a big box store here in central Florida. It was labelled Neo. Zoe.

• flabrom
    15 years ago

Hotdiggity, why do you think it is more likely 'Eoz' than "Zoe'? To my eye, 'Eoz' is pink, 'Zoe' blushes red - and the picture posted is more red than not.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Sorry about this dogboy! It seems we can't agree with your simple ID request.

Out of curiosity, can someone tell me if 'Eoz' is a joke name? OR is its namer seriously dislexic? OR, is it the reverse cross of 'Zoe'? OR, is it connected to our Oz (Australia)? (in which case, if it IS an Oz hybrid, unlikely to be mass-produced in U.S.).

Ho my Dog! - this is nocsufing!

yrreK :)

• flabrom
    15 years ago

Just as like 'Fireball' itself, there does not appear to be much information about 'Eoz", including its hybridizer. The seed parent is listed as 'Fireball' but with a question mark. 'Zoe' is only slightly less of a mystery - the hybridizer is Chester Skotak.

Would not surpise me if Chester made 'Eoz' as well - sounds like his sense of humor.

Dogboy, if your Neo flushes pink or pinkish lavendar, it probably is 'Eoz'. If it flushes Neo red, then it is probably 'Zoe.' Different people see different colors on their monitors - so it is up to you.

Check the Florida Council site for pictures of both.

• dogboy7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help- looking at photos of Zoe, I think thats probably it. Once our weather makes up it's mind and warms up, it will get more sunlight, and I'll post new photos.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

This is my 'Zoe' from Tropifloral for comparison. The white band along the middle of the leaf looks broader. It may be 'Eoz' afterall.
    {{gwi:453757}}

dogboy7's neo
    {{gwi:453758}}

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

I asked the question before on this forum about the difference between Zoe and Eoz and got very little response. A while later, our good friend Bob posted a new thread with some pictures in it for me to see - and they are still there, so check the link below.

Japie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Zoe & Eoz

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi all -

This is one of my Neo. Zoes for what it's worth.

They were all showing nice deep colour until our very hot January day when I moved them to a more shady location and until now, forgot about them, hence the absence of colour.

{{gwi:453759}}

All the best, Nev.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Haha! I like HDD's response:-

* Posted by hotdiggetydam (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 19:44

Bob they are the same plant..this side of the world its spelled Zoe ..other side of the world its spelled eoZ reverse spelling is all it is...

• flabrom
    15 years ago

I checked with Michael's Bromeliads and, yes, this is another Chester Skotak cultivar.

Michael wrote: "Neo. Eoz is a Skotak cross and is a play on Zoe. It has similar form but reverse variegation. Deroose and Tropiflora grew it."

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Having "reverse variegation" from Zoe would imply albomargination, though. That would make sense with the name, but all of the photos I've seen of Eoz show the same type of variegation as Zoe. So does that mean that all of the photos, including the ones on FCBS, are mislabeled? Seems unlikely, but I only have Zoe, so I can't answer that.

Curiouser and curiouser......

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Flabrom, that was my initial assumption, that Eoz would be 'reverse' variegation (albo-marginated) than that of Zoe (some variegated lines down the center of the leaf), which I had. So I was quite disappointed when I got Eoz and it looked just like Zoe. And ever since I was trying to figure out whether there is a difference in colour - some days it looked like that, other days not. So, lately I just refer to them all as Zoe, but I still keep the Eoz lables on the appropriate plants!

Japie

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I have hanging baskets of both plants. In the same pot smem are variegated and some albomarginated. The longer the plants grow they seem to revert back to all variegated. Many variegated plants are unstable. I guess this one is no exception.