Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_t_australia

My ochagavia in bloom!

kerry_t_australia
15 years ago

Hi all brom-friends,

About 15 months ago there was a thread on GW, initiated by Japie, entitled "Names confusion". The topic was about a questionably-labeled ochagavia, yet to flower.

Nadine of Melbourne, Australia (cractpot i.d.) showed us her ochagavia in bloom - which was, at the time of that posting, identified as Ochagavia carnea. Due to my enthusiastic response, Nadine kindly sent me a healthy pup of her plant shortly afterward. Thanks again, Nadsy!

After looking on the FCBS photo index, and other research, I concluded that our plant is actually Ochagavia litoralis.

Agree?

And here she is, 15 months later, in full bloom. The beautiful inflorescence only lasted a few days, but I just LOVE her!

{{gwi:453797}}

{{gwi:453798}}

{{gwi:453799}}

Cheers,

Kerry

Comments (13)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

That sure is nice. I'm glad you were able to capture it at its full potential.

• stephania
    15 years ago

Lovely it is... (^_^)

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

what an amazing brom
    ive never seen anything like it...WOW
    I think its rather pretty*smile*
    is it a long lasting flower like an aechmea and vriesia or is it short like the Billbergia?
    Or is it similar to the way of a neo?

again I say WOW

Germaine...(aka, Gem)

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry, great photos! And I agree with you on the name, there was an article on these plants in the BSI Journal Sept/Oct 2004. Och. carnea is said to be a much larger plant. Och. litoralis is one that grows well here, they handle our cold wet winters, & flower this time of year.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

That's a pretty bloom! Congrats!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry,
    It's a very unusual and eye-catching inflorescence with lots and lots of pollen on the flowers. Is it a selfer? If so are you going to try some seed?

All the best, Nev

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Somehow I doubt this one would make it here in south Florida. That's too bad! Thanks for taking the pics and sharing them with us.

• bryan69
    15 years ago

I have been growing that plant for a few years but haven't bloomed it yet. It is clumping up but no bloom. I wonder if i seperate it will it jump start it to bloom?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bryan it takes a bit of cold to make it bloom

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry, nice plant and love the pics - can just about count the pollen grains on the anthers!

The petals on those flowers look like they have a bit of that "crystalline" appearance that you get in some orchids - really nice.

Cheers, Paul

• sunshine_qld
    15 years ago

Kerry that is one beautiful flower.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Looks like all the flowers went off at once! Good thing you were there with your camera, Kerry. Very pretty, but another one that would not be happy in my part of the world, I'm sure.

• kerry_t_australia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for the positive responses.
    I hadn't even noticed the inflo starting to form. All of a sudden it was in full flower, so I rushed to get my camera, and took a bazillion photos on the same day. The very next day, it was already past its best. One week later, it is a grey, shrivelled thing. A fleeting beauty, for sure!

Nev - I do hope to get seed, but it's not looking hopeful.

Bryan - maybe you could place your whole clump, or divided plants, pot and all, in your fridge for a few days in winter - to force it to bloom? A bit like what those in warmer climes do with tulip bulbs, for the same reason. Worth a try?

Andrew - thanks for the back-up on it's correct identity.

Being able to get it to flower naturally, in my conditions, is at least some compensation for struggling with such beauties as Ae. chantinii and other true tropical broms...

Cheers,
    Kerry

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions