Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geebus_gw

New to Gardening

geebus
14 years ago

Hi Garden Webbers

I have been reading this forum quite a bit the last few months and getting tips and tricks from you all. It has been very very helpful! I thought you could assist me in identifying the bromeliad collection I have inherited when purchasing our first home. I have taken photo's of the stuff I could so far (still pupping, cleaning and replanting a lot of neglected stock). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, not 5 minutes from BroMagic. Nice large established tree's are giving us good dappled shade 80% of the day and the plants that have been cared for are going really well (even with the last 5 weeks of rain!)

I have attached a link if anyone would like to take a look at the collection so far.

Bromeliad Set on Flickr

Regards

Gordon.

Comments (14)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Well Gordon, as you may know, Neoregelias in particular are really tough to ID from photos, especially if your growing conditions are different from someone else's and/or don't show the plant to its best advantage. Even under the best of circumstances there are just too many similar looking cultivars to make the call most times, but some are pretty distinctive, and you can at least narrow it down and eliminate some wrong IDs.

So let's start there. Unfortunately, the two you do have labeled are not correct. The one tagged "Ae unknown" is actually Billbergia pyramidalis v. concolor. The one tagged "Neoregelia Vulkan" is definitely not Vulkan. I'm not sure what it is, it has the look of Neo. johannis or one of its hybrids. Now, if you'd had #1085 tagged as Vulkan I wouldn't argue with it, even though my plant has much wider leaves. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it's somewhat similar in appearance. There are LOTS of purple hybrids, though.

Next, what I know for sure is that #1046 is Neo. spectabilis (variegated form). I'm also reasonably confident that #1056 is Neo. Maya. #1075 may be Ae. Rakete, but it's a bit hard to tell from that angle. Similarly, I'd like to see a side view of #1049, so I can see the leaf markings. It could be a form of Ae. orlandiana or correia-araujoi or one of their hybrids.

#1060 has the look of Neo. Gunpowder, but I'm not confident enough to call it. Same with #1051, might be Royal Burgundy Supreme, might not. The only other thing I can tell you is that #1064-1065 is a Billbergia, but I'm not sure which one.

Anyone else want to try to fill in the blanks?

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa

Thank you for all the time you have spent replying! I have adjusted the image names to take on board your suggestions and from looking at sample pics online and checking it against the plants you are correct on all counts! Even the Royal Burgundy Supreme had a tag saying exactly that stuffed in behind a few leaves, found after giving the plant a good clean and pulling off dead growth! I will take some more pictures to confirm the ones you aren't sure about, but I'm confident you nailed it. Please forgive my ignorance of what is a Billbergia, a Neo or an Aech. I'm still trying to figure out the differences.

I have attached below a list of the tags I have found floating around the garden in the last few months. Some are labelled with Genus etc, others are just a name on a bit of white stick I found when mowing. I thought it may help to fill in some blanks.

- N. Paula
    - N. Charm
    - N. Vulkan
    - N. Coolum Sands
    - N. Red Gold
    - N. Cruenta Broad Leaf x Gold Fever
    - N. Big Red x Car(?) Red
    - N. Hal Ellis
    - Coolum Sands (I suspect Cooloola Sands?)
    - Purple Paint x Conc
    - Drama Queen
    - Geisha Girl
    - Barbarian Hybrid
    - Red Tips
    - Homage
    - Marble Snow
    - Tutti Frutti
    - Hawaiian Rainforest

I should add that I have yet to take photo's of every item in the collection so there is bound to be stuff there I am yet to upload photo's of. I am trying to get to that today (7mth old kids don't like to sit still for long periods! Who knew!?!?!)

Again I appreciate all the help, I am starting to see the subtle differences in all these awesome little plants.

Regards
    Gordon.

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have uploaded a few more shots to confirm some of the markings and put in a couple other plants that I have cleaned up and found tags for this morning. I think your right about the two AE's though. Will upload more later, I have to go and lunch with the in laws! :)

Regards
    Gordon.

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Added another 30 or so images this evening and have nearly finished replanting in the backyard. Found a couple of tree's in the corner covered in a little air brom which is running rampant! Now off to read a bit about germination and how is best to make that happen...

Gordon.

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I can't help with IDs sorry but is certainly a nice collection to inheret!! If I only I had a great Aunt with a brom collection... hehe.

Welcome to the forum - Im sure the plants you have with will soon have you addicted to bromeliads as you watch them change colour and catch the light as they mature and indeed at different times of the day/types of days.

all the best
    Kristan

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the notes all. I am hoping a few more pro's like Lisa can jump in and give me a few clues. I have purchased some seed trays and sphagnum moss to try sprout some little baby boms. I'm a bit excited about it working!

Gordon.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gordon,

If you want to send me an email I'll return some notes on seed sowing for you if you're interested.

All the best, Nev.

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received your fantastic guide this morning Nev and have read it over twice! I am biting off more then I can chew I fear! I am going to take on all of your ideas and try the "Dahlia" method immediately as I keep a much more watchful eye on what is flowering around the garden, something I had taken very little notice of until now! :)

I will have to post some photo's of my very beginner looking first attempt.

Regards
    Gordon.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Welcome Gordon,

It is nice to see that you got a house thrown in with the Bromeliads that you bought.

I don't know if you have been to FCBS.org but the photo index there may help you out.

The link below should take you to the Neo search engine page of FCBS where you can put in the names that you have listed and compare them with online photos.

It is good to see that you are trying to name them, may I suggest that if you do find a correct name use a good tag system - HB pencil on plastic tags works OK, some permanent markers work well others fade away after six month, I tried wooden paddle pop sticks which worked great until the wood rotted, I'm now using aluminium tags and engraving them.

Cheers,

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS neoregelia search

• geebus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rick

Thanks for the link, I have done my best to match up some of the tags found but I'm at a loss for a few of them. I took your advice and bought aluminium 'engraving' tags for the stock I have tagged. I am replanting the whole lot on Thursday and will post some pics of the end result!

Regards
    Gordon.

P.S Nev! Crossing my fingers my first amatuer attempt at seed has taken, should have a result within a week!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Gordon, I am new to broms and interested in germination, too. Can you point me toward any websites that you found helpful?

Nev, I am going to contact you by email to see if you would mind sending me that guide. I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
    Carol

11 years ago

Nev, your "My Page" doesn't have "Send Me an Email" listed as an option. You must have turned that off? Please let me know if it is ok to contact you offline.

Thanks,
    Carol

11 years ago

Gordon, I thought maybe I could contact you offline and get a copy of Nev's guide, if you still have it, but your "My Page" doesn't have "Send Me an Email" listed as an option, either. :(

Carol

11 years ago

Nev, what a fantastic guide! Thanks to you and HDD for seeing to it that I received a copy. You sure put a lot of effort into it and I have learned so much. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Carol in Jacksonville

Sponsored
More Discussions