bryan69
14 years ago

Two different deut. brevifolia species

{{gwi:454258}}

{{gwi:454260}}

Comments (26)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Hey Bryan, nice plants. Is the second one possibly lorentziana? They are great clumps. I wish mine were that big already.
    -andy

• stephania
    14 years ago

From "Uncle Derek Says" about the genus Deuterocohnia in FCBS,
    the 1st photo is Deuterocohnia brevifolia ssp. chlorantha
    and the 2nd is D. brevifolia ssp. brevifolia

What we call Deuterocohnia lorentziana is bigger in size and seem to be a vary species too.

Here, Deuterocohnia lorentziana, green leaf form.

{{gwi:454262}}

Deuterocohnia lorentziana, grey leaf form which I got from Huntington Botanical Garden.

{{gwi:454263}}

While this one is in the 'Dude family' too, Deut. lotteae

{{gwi:454265}}

Haa...they all have clumpy characteristic :^))

{{gwi:454267}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncle Derek Says

• bryan69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

deut. loteae
    {{gwi:454268}}
    deut. lorentzana
    {{gwi:454270}}
    lorentzana silver
    {{gwi:454271}}
    and this is a dycohnia which was done by a friend of mine. It looks like it has lorentzana in it but not sure what the dyckia is. I may have a few for sale at the conference. They are the only ones in existance so not sure if i want to let go yet
    {{gwi:454273}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Although I don't grow these plants myself, I still appreciate a well grown brom plant of any kind.

I just thought I would post this picture of the plant which was grand champion at our 2009 show, and was grown by one of our local members. I wasn't able to get the whole name at the time but was later told it was also a deuterocohnia brevifolia.

{{gwi:454275}}

All the best, Nev.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is totaly awesome. What was the diameter of the plant

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

Bryan,
    I would concur on the second pic being Deut. lorentziana. When I originally got mine, it was labelled brevifolia, too.
    The x Dycohnia is most cool! May I guess that TC had something to do with that?
    I have a Deut. lotteae should bloom this week. If it does, I'll try to get some pics to post.

Paul

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I'm still hoping to see a Dude's inflorescence.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paul if you look on fcbs they show two different species of brevifolia. I don't know if you know Jim Georgesis but he is the one that made the dyconia. He named it dyc. June after his wife.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi brian69

The plant was in a 9" terracotta pot, but as you can see by the pic. below, it was overhanging the sides of the pot somewhat.

{{gwi:454277}}

All the best, Nev.

• alibaba_2008
    14 years ago

I find this a very difficult group of species when trying to ID unknowns. What do you reckon this one is? The heads are about 2' in diameter

[IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/alanbryan/Bromeliads/abromSmall.jpg[/IMG]

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Hello all,

I think I will have to try and get myself a couple of these critters.

A novice question for the experts - do you mould the soil mix to get the look in the pictures above or do clumps naturally mould?

Thanks,

Rick

• bryan69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is the way it grows

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have another pic which was sent to me and I am posting it at Pinkbrom's request.

It is Deuterocohnia brevifolia which Ross says he started in 1995 as a 4 head rosette. It is growing in a 800mm tub (31 1/2")and the mound is 400mm high.

As for cultural tips, he says "they like to be fed, we have removed/trimmed the sides in the past".

{{gwi:454279}}

Sorry I coudn't post it sooner but once again I've had the gremlins in my computer.

Enjoy.

All the best, Nev.

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

As promised, Deut. lotteae opened a flower yesterday. It's bigger and more colorful than D. lorentziana- an unexpected pleasure! For scale, the plant is growing in a 4" (10 cm) pot.

{{gwi:454281}}

Bryan, I've heard Jim's name when I visited friends in New Orleans, though I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. Perhaps this July...

Paul

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

Ive seen a couple or three large clumps-the Huntington(vague memory) Ruth Bancroft garden-a clump covering a boulder the size of a Galapagos tortoise, and maybe a rival size clump at UC Berkeley a bit more spread out in form..and since 2004 havent seen one for sale here .
    I do know that the Desert Speaks TV show have shown these sp.OR closely related, in habitat in high Andes in clumps the size of Volkwagon Beetles-1963 model year to be exact(that very last I kid-but size is true). They are used as fuel by indigenous people-the plants burn hot and long.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paul,are you going to try to cross it? If you have a dyckia that is dark that would make a nice dycohnia. Jimmy is coming to New Orleans for a visit next weekend. I will find out if he is planning on coming to the conference. His moto is if it has roots he has grown it. He knows his stuff

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I have a few seed grown D. brevifolia that I don't know what to do with. They are still growing in the same sphagnum moss that they were planted in 13 months ago. I suspect that some are getting close to full size. Can I get a nice cluster growing from multiple plants or should I start one cluster per plant?

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

ok, I beleive this is a succulent, but it reminds me of some of the pictures posted here. Is it? And if so, what is the difference between it and the ones above, that determines it being a bromeliad/succulent?
    {{gwi:454282}}
    {{gwi:454284}}
    my finger is there for proportion.
    BA

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

I have visited the BG Dresden over the weekend and took this picture over there. The photo was taken via dirty glass hence the poor quality and is the reason why I could not take a good close up.

{{gwi:454285}}

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

I think Deuterocohnias are also succulents so there is no difference. But not all bromeliads are succulents. Succulents store water in their bodies.

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

and here is D. longipetala growing at the same BG. The inflo was already totally dry. That is huge a Puya secunda in the background.

{{gwi:454286}}

{{gwi:454288}}

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

..and D. meziana which is not really meant for small place despite the neat photo on fcbs.

{{gwi:454289}}

{{gwi:454290}}

I have asked the gardener to stand there for scale. It is still the same BG. D. meziana is in the left front corner and he is standing next to the above mentioned Puya which inflo is hanging in on the above first photo. D. longipetala is about at his knee with one of its old inflo branch is coming up to his belly.

{{gwi:454292}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I don't know why the picture of Ross's deuterocohnia brevifolia vanished, but here it is again for anyone who didn't see it.

{{gwi:454293}}

All the best, Nev.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

BA,Its an Aloe.Maybe Aloe juvenna?

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thanks Stan, I did think it was, but the pic further up made me second guess myself. I'll throw it back where it was then. Had it been a bromeliad it might have gone to a better position in the garden! he he
    Nev, I've seen Ross' Duet too. Its a beauty! He doesn't want to part with any though!
    Noid, thanks for all the pictures. Must be good to see a BG with a good selection of broms!
    BA

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

B-A I've cut one of the other smaller clumps up, took 50 plants off it & put the remainder in a 800 dia. tub to grow on, so there is a spare or 2 if you want one.

Pinkbroms

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions