Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malleeaustralia

shadehouse reno...

malleeaustralia
14 years ago

G'day folks - hope all's well.

I havent been on here for a little while so will have to check out whats been happening but thought I'd show what I've been upto over the last cple of days. The shadehouse in this area has slowly grown over time and is now taking up about as much space as it can. Gravel floor is down now just a matter of playing around with what goes where...

{{gwi:454572}}

{{gwi:454573}}

{{gwi:454574}}

some Sansevieria

{{gwi:454575}}

{{gwi:454576}}

{{gwi:454577}}

{{gwi:454578}}

{{gwi:454579}}

{{gwi:454580}}

Comments (9)

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

not sure if will try a vertical wall to cover back wall of shed or shelving... depends what materials turn up first really!

{{gwi:454581}}

{{gwi:454582}}

{{gwi:454583}}

{{gwi:454584}}

{{gwi:454585}}

{{gwi:454586}}

{{gwi:454587}}

{{gwi:454588}}

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Nice work mate, looks like you have a nice collection and still space for plenty more! ;-)...What's the variegated neo sitting in the top of the orange pipe in pic 2 of this post ? Also is that an Ae. orlandiana on steroids in the 3rd pic from the bottom, or sumthin' else ?!?
    Cheers
    Graeme

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Kristan,

Wow! You've really been busy haven't you? Look at all that space, I wonder what you'll do with it all (says he with tongue in cheek).

The gravel floor looks great and should give good light reflection also, and what about all those recycling and improvisation ideas, recycled screen doors, pipe framed gate, terra cotta drainage pipes, wooden logs etc.

You didn't tell us you also did a bit of opal mining. The off-cuts give that little extra touch, and what about that bromcycle behind the Sansevieria plants, you've really made good use of everything.

All this and great, healthy looking plants as well!

It looks like the brom bug has bitten you badly and I don't think you're ever going to recover. You'll just have to treat the problem by feeding the "brom bug" with more brom's I guess.

Great stuff!

All the best, Nev.

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cheers folks

Graeme - the brom in the 2nd pic of the 2nd post is (I have tagged as...) Neo Predatoress. It has recently been in a less lit-up spot so some of the red has receded - should brighten up again here but I do like it with a little less red as lets the variegation beneath come through. Yes, that is an Orlandiana (as much info as I have). The close-up nature of the photo might make it a little more "on steroids" but is a great addition to my collection - the majority of the Orlands. are new.

Yep Nev, the gravel floor comes up great and really helps to reflect light around the area - plus being quartz I can at least dream theres some gold in there! I can't take credit for mining the opal - I wish. Have had a few bits and pieces (all pretty low greade) for a while and thought would look a lot better here and there amongst the plants. The nature of opal suits the broms too.

I thought youd like the recycled nature - only way to go! Im lucky we've had a messy yard here as do the neighbours so I've been able to scrounge up what I need so far. The terracotta pipes (from the Tip Shop) are a fave!

Will be interesting to see just how long the spare space in their lasts!

all the best
    Kristan

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Kristen it looks great so far...very nice plants
    Be sure to make the shadecloth very taunt with no sags so when it rains the cloth breaks the raindrops into smaller ones or even a mist... also prevents drip spots.

• User
    14 years ago

Kristen, a vertical wall = Tillandsias. Construct the wall, cover with lattice and hang your plants.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Kristan,

If you follow gonzer's advice, make sure the lattice is not made from CCA treated timber which could harm your plants.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Very good show Kristan , yes i like the piece of Opalised wood ( i think its wood ) plants have nice colour as well . Jack

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Kristan, looking good - and all those cubic metres of space for new plants!

Sponsored
More Discussions