Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

Hechtia in habitat

sdandy
14 years ago

Here is a hechtia in habitat. Interesting looking at colonies of plants and seeing the variability of a single species. Some leaves curved to one side, some more straight. Some clumps no red, the clump next to it had the red margins.

{{gwi:454720}}

{{gwi:454721}}

Here is an old clump. Look at the remnants of the old plants snaking up the hill making mini-terraces on the hillside.

{{gwi:454722}}

{{gwi:454723}}

Nice territorial view with a couple of clumps of hechtias...

{{gwi:454724}}

And remember to pay attention to where you are. I was getting too excited taking pictures and a cholla cactus jumped up and bit me. And yes, it hurt pulling it out/off. Several big spines (hooked, by the way) were lodged into skin.

{{gwi:454725}}

-andy

Comments (8)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Andy,

Ouch! Love your comments about variability and always love habitat shots - such a story to tell and these ones really tell it. Some of those plants must be ancient. I wonder if anyone has dated them?

Thanks for sharing them. Cheers, Paul

• User
    14 years ago

Andy, what's the location?

• bambi_too
    14 years ago

Oh I feel for you! I over wintered a Cholla here once for a friend and I swear (I did a lot when it was here) they do jump. I felt really bad when my Jack Russell got stuck by a chunk of it. It took 20 minutes to get all the spines out of her.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, the cholla can be aggressive. I was glad someone was there to help me dislodge it. I'm also glad that the spines pulled out without breaking and requiring a closer inspection for full removal.

This colony is in Queretaro Gonz. Robert and I will be giving a presentation on this trip this Saturday morning. I'm furiously trying to pull it together (and keep it under 45mins).

And the variability was amazing to see. Makes me wonder about what the boundaries of a 'species' are. And how many 'overlap'.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Andy,

You say "remember to pay attention to where you are", I couldn't imagine anything more difficult with all of those plants to look at, you're lucky you got spiked just the once.

Thank's for the tour.

All the best, Nev.

• stephania
    14 years ago

WOWWWW! (*O*)

What can I say! hope I could be there someday, thanks Andy.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hey Andy,

Looks like you had a most excellent trip! Thanks heaps for all these great habitat shots. Good luck in your mission to try to sort out those intriguing Hechtias. With so much variability of the same species within the same areas, I imagine your quest will not be easy. Dissection of floral bits will keep you busy, and your eyesight sharp.

LOL at the extra spiny hitch-hiker!

They look like pretty remote and wild areas you've visited. I was hoping you weren't there when that earthquake hit...were you? News is it was also felt strongly in San Diego. All O.K.?

K :)

• sdandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, we got back the day before. It was a wild ride! I loved it. We drove right through that area (well, somewhat near that). It was really cool feeling the rumbles. It lasted long enough that we got to see most of it outside...the street was rolling a bit. My body naturally swayed to try to keep my body still while my feet were being shifted side to side. A couple of my columnar cacti were swaying with the waves too. All the aftershocks have been fun too. Every once in a while we will feel another one. Nice that the center was far enough away that I could enjoy it! The cracks in the walls and ceiling are a little bit bigger now. But it was great fun.
    -andy

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions