Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID this plant

Posted by Junglajungle 9b Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 1:40

Hello, I acquired these two plants about two years ago. I tried rooting them in water because I thought they were some type of desert plant...they did get roots, but the roots were white with the thickness of dental floss. I tried to grow them as air plants; they did ok for about a year...they kept growing new leaves, but at the same time they would dry out. About 2 months ago I decided to put them on orchid bark and placed them by my kitchen window. I water them just like I water my orchids. With this method they have been growing and keeping the new leaves and growing roots. The lady who gave them to me had a very thick branch from another plant (she had it in her garage for just a few days before she gave them to me). On the branch a lot of these little plants were attached to it. The funny thing is that they did not have roots...it was like they were a part of the branch.
I hope someone can id these plants so I can make sure I’m growing them correctly. Thank you so much for taking a look at them. Ariana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID this plant

Pic #2

o

Pic #3

o

Pic #4 (last one)

o

Kinda looks like a false agave

o

Thank you for the quick response! Unfortunately I'm not a big agave plant fan....I thought it would've been a type of air plant. I feel kind of silly because, living in AZ, there are agave plants everywhere, but I never knew what they were called until I read your post and did a search for false agave. That's when it dawned on me. Thanks again for your reply!

Ariana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here