Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nearly ever colorful Aechmea hybrids in Berkeley

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 2:22

This is a hybrid Aechmea of A. recurvata with I don't really know what, that I've been growing for decades, and use a lot in landscape jobs because it is so dependable for long lasting color. I've used it here with Easter Cactus in raised pots at a deck, in the dappled shade of a Mayten tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea recurvata hybrids in pots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nearly ever colorful Aechmea hybrids in Berkeley

Where is the chase louge for drinking morning coffee and watching the birds?

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 12:33

You didn't scan far enough into the entire set, I've included a photo of deck chairs tucked into the corner of this terrace. My clients are both pretty busy professionals, a UC professor/dept. head of geology and a surgeon for Kaiser Permanente with two young boys, so they really don't have much time to lounge around, even on the weekends...

o

Very unusual Bahia. Never seen a recurvata like that, the upright posture is great.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 21:56

You've never seen this around in southern California? I kind of assumed it might by an old un-named Hummel hybrid or something. I must have gotten it from a fellow member at a SF Bromeliad Society plant raffle table some 20 years ago now. In any case, I use a lot of the various Aechmea ortgiesii tribe members in my landscape designs, because they are so prolific, dependable, and colorful; even if they are a bit mundane compared to what you can grow in southern California. I try to stay away from bromeliads that require special care or protection against rains and winter cold for clients' gardens; no time to go around to them all and move plants or cover them...

Also, the raccoons have never bothered an Aechmea recurvata type, but they can demolish Neoregelias, Vrieseas, and Billbergias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here