Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

My Dyckia 'Yellow Glow' has set seed...but

stephania
16 years ago

After keeping this yellow beauty for years, one of my plants had bloomed last month.

{{gwi:455004}}

{{gwi:455005}}

I did pollination also crossing with another Dyckia,

then two week later the seed pods have been growing up.

{{gwi:455006}}

As you see, instead of dark green or deep brown-colored like other Dyckia,

the 'Yellow Glow' s seed pods appear to be yellowish brown!

I think because its inflorescense part is a kind of lacking chlorophyll

from the variegation characteristic.

So, I'm really afraid that the seeds could not make or survive.

{{gwi:455007}}

{{gwi:455008}}

Comments (12)

• Patris
    16 years ago

Congrats on the bloom Stephania. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed that these will be viable so I can do the same with mine!!
    The seed pods do look very healthy so could you explain why the lack of chlorophyll does not hinder the plants growth, but could hinder the seeds?
    Whom did you pick to be proud papa?

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Patris,

What I've worried is that the seedling might be albino(lacking all chlorophyll)
    because its mother's variegation is not a striated form
    (albomarginated, mediopicta or stripe variegated which,
    at least have some green parts) as in another variegated broms do.

By the way, I crossed it with four guys, D. estevesii, D.marnier-lapostollei,
    D.saxatilis and D.'California'

This is Dyckia saxatilis, the plant also sets three seed pods.
    {{gwi:455009}}

{{gwi:455010}}

Dyckia 'California' also set some seed pods, but this evening I had checked,
    only 5 seeds appeared to be fertile amongst 100 sterile !
    {{gwi:455011}}

{{gwi:455012}}

{{gwi:455013}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I suspect you may be right in your fears that they will be albino, Stephania, but the only way to find out is to try and germinate them.

It is an unusual plant, and doesn't really qualify as variegated in the usual sense. It may be that Yellow Glow is itself an albino of sorts, but it still has enough green tissue to keep it alive. If that is the case, then maybe the seedlings will have enough chlorophyll too, it's really hard to know.

Try it and report back to us, in the interests of science!

• Patris
    16 years ago

I am very curious as to what the offspring of D. estevesii will look like. I've seen crosses with estevesii, but none that have taken that beautiful fan form. I would love pick of the litter please!!

Albino, albomarginated, mediopicta or stripe would these be a dominating factor for the offspring or does that make them unstable? I would have thought the opposite to be true.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, Patris, particularly the part about instability, but an albino seedling has no chlorophyll and is therefore doomed to death. With variegated broms there seems to be a direct relation between the color of mommy plant's leaf margins and what goes on in her ovaries (seed pods), so albomarginated plants typically produce albino offspring, whereas mediopictas produce plain green ones.

This is neither. There's no striping here of any kind, so it's harder to predict, but the fact that the pods are lacking in chlorophyll seems like it could be an indication that the seedlings will be as well. Of course yellow coloration is not as lacking in chlorophyll as pure white, and the fact that Yellow Glow can turn green in low light/high nitrogen conditions may mean the seedlings will be able to do the same.

Stay tuned and hopefully we'll all find out!

• Patris
    16 years ago

Thanks Lisa, guess I'm still having a hard time getting my thoughts put in to proper questions, but you seemed to have understood. How impressed am I?? LOL

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey everyone :^)
    I sowed my 'Yellow Glow' seeds since last week.
    And just this morning, I checked the seeding box, they have been germinating !
    So, at least we know they are fertile.

Waiting for what coming out.

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, what I had feared is occuring !

After a week, my 'Yellow Glow' seeds have germinated, 60-70% in 5 box.
    Yes, at first glance they look good, but see, there is something wrong.

{{gwi:455014}}

I have checked them and found all are lack of green-colored,
    only two seedlings that appear green (one in red mark)
    {{gwi:455015}}

This is another green one.
    {{gwi:455016}}

Here, comparing to the normal green of xDyckcohnia 'Conrad Morton' seedlings.
    {{gwi:455017}}

I don't know they will finally make or not...anyway, I pray :^)

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Well, two of them will probably make it! It will be interesting to see if those two ever develop a yellow glow. My guess is no, but there's only one way to find out.

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Hey Chanin, how did these turn out?

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mike, sadly, all of albino seedlings gone, and few normal green plants do survive.

These are the rest normal green Dyckia brevifolia from the grex
    that I landscaped in my friend, Gift's xeric garden.

{{gwi:455018}}

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Dyckia brevifolia is native to my birth place too. This form yellow glow or golden glow or any other fancy name is a very beautiful plant. Neve fails to capture one´s eyes in any Dyckia collection. I ´ve got this plant, finally the baby got back home and this time wit a new look and what a look! I have the wild form and it seems a red form was found in Rio do Sul, Santa Catarina in the Itajaí-açu River.
    Xantochromism seem to be induced now when tissue culturing. People uses some atenuated viruses do introduce this color mutation. Xantochromic forms will be common place in a short time. It gets very interestinf among succulent plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://dyckiabrazil.blogspot.com/

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions