Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I keep tillandsia's in a greenhouse?

Posted by dextrous Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 3:59

Hi, I am ordering a large quantity of tillandsia's soon, and I can't keep them inside. I would like to keep them in a greenhouse like the one below,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garden-Greenhouse-Large-Walk-In-Hot-House-PVC-Cover-/310360852436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4842f2c7d4

But i am unsure if it will be too hot inside there for them.

Also what sort of irrigation system would work for them?

Thanks for any replies and help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I keep tillandsia's in a greenhouse?

I think they would cook in there. Is there any air flow?
Shadecloth as a cover would be better.

o

What about this one, it seems to have windows for ventilation and more shade, although the plants would be put in a shady area anyway

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garden-Greenhouse-Shed-2x3m-/251159650045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a7a481efd

too much shade?

o

Why not outside?

o

I am going to be buying 950 air plants so I don't really have a place to put them outside. I just need somewhere to house them. Was planning on putting some racking up inside the greenhouse to just house the plants. Will the second one be okay do you think?

o

This type of shade house is what you need.
http://www.sundownershadehouses.com.au/
They can also hang outside on a wire frame to get morning sun.

o

Damn, those are expensive! Maybe I'll buy the frame of the ebay one I posted and make up the shadecloth part myself. Hmm

Damn.

o

If you put the shade cloth on yourself use tie wire to attach it to the frame as zip ties will only last a few years.

o

If you only want to keep them alive...you could use wire shelving on a light steel frame. Its what they use as grow out for raising them. Its how they keep thousands in a relative small amount of room.No need to attach or hang even a single plant. Check out any Tilly growers set up on YouTube.

Cover with a light cloth,cheese cloth..any poly-fiber sold for plants protection from frost or too strong sun.

o

950 isn't that many if they are small but housing them to grow long term? Tilly's need air flow as much as they need water and light.

o

Greenhouses cook broms. My greenhouse has removable panels and I have to adjust to the seasons with shadecloth and fans. It's tricky. Broms like a good soaking and some good air flow to dry them out.

Often overlooked factor -- your water. When you soak -- use rainwater! Broms don't like chlorinated water. If you live in a low humid area, misting is not enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here