Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Some more photos

vriesea
14 years ago

Hi everyone ,herewith a few more piccies ,these are of the next building under construction ( the seedling house ) and one of the photos is of the first building wich now has 2 rows of plants hanging in the centre ,thats about all it can take ,

{{gwi:455528}}

{{gwi:455529}}

{{gwi:455530}}

{{gwi:455531}}

Well thats it for now ,cheers ,

Jack

Comments (7)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Jack,

More great stuff! And very interesting indeed, because for the last few weeks I've been puzzling over the best, easy way of setting up some hanging in my existing shadehouses (plus in the next one I haven't built yet).

I've been umming and ahhing because I can't seem to find that neat combination of best and easy, with best including something that casts minimal shadow, doesn't stick like recently painted wood and stops the hangers from trundling up and down if there's a bit of wind. So, I just have to ask, is that barbed galvanised fencing wire that you are using as a hanging rail? I think I've just found nirvana!

Cheers, Paul

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Paul , yes its gal.barbed wire ,i started to use that about 40 years ago and tried to talk everyone in to using it , its very striong ,and you can space plants perfectly ,its easy to readjust the spacing ,but the only down side is that its a bit prickly to work with ,used to try gloves but it catches ,so bare hands ,and dont be in a hurry ,bear in mind that when you hang a lot of plants and they are wet ,a lot of weight is the result ,so make sure the building is well braced to with stand the pull ,other than that its by far the best solution i have found ,
    Jack

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

So now that the first building is full already, have you pegged out the third one yet? Will Tamera's daughter still get her horse paddock?

The logistics of transporting all those plants to their new home must have been...tricky, to say the least.
    When you're finished the seedling house, you'll have plenty of time on your hands, so I've mentally pegged out my pending new seedling house, and another big shade house - patiently awaiting your services. Well, it works in my head...LOL.

Seriously though, what a lot of hard work! And Tamera, the property looks perfect for all your needs. Enjoy your new lifestyle.

Kez :)

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kerry ,funny you should mention the third building - - ?
    yes it was a lot of work shifting plants but each time we went there some plants where always taken ,even by the 2 guys that work for me painting ,then Richard and Phillip brought their 2 vans and did a wonderfull job moving plants ,yes the horse paddocks are safe ,so you require my services also ? well I did them for Tamera few years ago and if i can do one for Francess ,why not you ? And yes look at the spare time i will have ,and still so young to ( hahaha ) i do intend to move my building (the one in my backyard) out there as well ,taking the old buildings apart and moving them was a bigger headache as i want to recycle them so nothing could be destroyed ,there is timber etc everywhere ,but it will be great when finished ,and thanks Kerry, Tamera may have computer working tonight if not ? tomorrow ,
    Cheers Kerry
    Jack X

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack, you are very kind, but I didn't really mean it. You will deserve a good rest when all done at Tamera's, then retire gracefully into full-time hybridising.

See you at "Brom Camp", and hopefully that gander will happen before or after.
    Take it easy, my friend.

K :)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Hey Jack. Looks good! I am just trying to figure out how I am going to build mine, so it is good to see pictures. Also looks like a great adventure. And can't wait to see the final products! What do you do with the collected rain water? Do you treat it at all or filter it? I also want to put in tanks to catch our meager rainfall, but not sure how to deal with the water sitting around.
    -andy

• vriesea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Andy ,I dont intend to treat the rain water at all ,will have to have a filter on the pipe line as i dont want anything clogging up ,we are not in a polluted area ,so the water will be okay ( better than the chlorinated treated town supply) as there is no domestic water supply to this area we are on tanks for everything the rain water is used for drinking water and of good quality ,my buildings are a standard design that i have used for 40 years ,it works out strong ,cost effective ,very long lasting ,easy to pull apart and reconstruct ,its tedious to paint all the timbers ,but i can't weld so metal is out ,and it has its own set of problems anyway ,
    Thanks every one for your interests ,will keep you all posted ,
    Cheers, Jack