Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long stalks coming from nidularium innocentii var. lineatum

Posted by FabFoliage Queensland (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 7:00

I was given a nidularium innocentii var. lineatum(?) pup as a 'gift' with a bunch of other broms bought on ebay and it's shot up in height and is now shooting out 5 long stalks that would be about 50cm or so long. A couple of the stalks have taken root in the mulch but the others are just hanging in the air over the edge of a retaining wall. I'm assuming these are going to grow into pups, but it seems odd that they're so far away from the mother plant??? I haven't seen any photos or been able to find any information about propagation of this species on the web.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long stalks coming from nidularium innocentii var. lineatum

Are you sure they are coming from that plant as it doesn't pup like that.

o

I'm 99% sure they're from that plant as none of the other broms around it would pup like that either, but I'll pull the pot out of the garden and take a better photo of the plant on its own tomorrow.

o

Yep, my nidularium thinks it's an octopus! Unless it's not a nidularium after all???

It does look a bit tall and scraggly like it's reaching for more light but it's kept under shadecloth which most of my broms need to avoid frying in the hot SE QLD sun.

o

Well, it turns out it's not a bromeliad after all - it looks more like a variegated form of Callisia fragrans. Interesting!

I think I'll take it out of the brom garden and put it in a hanging basket :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here