Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

some colour before winter

avane_gw
14 years ago

It's this time of the year again here on the Southern tip of Africa when most of the colour will disappear from most Neoregelias planted in the garden. And today is a typical Winter's day for us here in Cape Town. Totally overcast with soft rain almost constantly for the whole day and the light level is very low. Cold and wet and grey! So I decided to colour up my life by taking some pictures in the rain (had to use a flash) before too much colour is gone.

But, first a picture for Kerry. I got a Ae Sangria a-m with very little variegation and now it gave me this pup with too much variegation! And there is a regular Sangria in the back.

{{gwi:456133}}

And while on Aechmea's, here is my Ae Shelldancer flowering for the first time:

{{gwi:456134}}

And some Neoregelias.

Neo Barbarian

{{gwi:456135}}

Neo Irene

{{gwi:456136}}

Neo Lambert's Pride

{{gwi:456137}}

Neo Rainbow

{{gwi:456138}}

Neo Sun King x Painted Lady

{{gwi:456139}}

Neo Strawberry

{{gwi:456140}}

Neo carolinae hybrid

{{gwi:456141}}

Neo macwilliamsii

{{gwi:456142}}

No colour, but I like the fresh look of them:

Guz Georgia and Vr Raphael

{{gwi:456143}}

Vr Margarita

{{gwi:456144}}

Vr Sunset

{{gwi:456145}}

Vr RoRo and Highway Beauty

{{gwi:456146}}

Japie

Comments (8)

• gonzer_gw
    14 years ago

Exceptional Japie!

• jaga
    14 years ago

Hi Japie,
    Yes conditions are much the same here in New Zealand even the falling rain all day, love that Ae Sangria variegated form + the Vr Margarita & N Carcharodon 'Rainbow' good pics in the rain.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Japie, some lovely colour before winter indeed. That variegated Ae. Sangria is really something special, and that Rainbow is inspirational!!! Thanks for the pics. Cheers, Paul

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Japie,

Great looking plants, the attached link below has an interesting article from John Catlin about encouraging varigation by placing the varigated leaf towards the sun to encourage varigated pupping - this was how he created Ae. Aztec Gold.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromeliaceae Jul/Aug05

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Japie - Winter might be just around the corner, but you still have a fantastic colour parade of beautiful plants.

Thanks for sharing your pic's with us, all the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi Japie,
    Thanks for the autumn colour hit! - and great to see the colour in your variously variegated Sangrias. I thought all Sangrias were variegated, but obviously not. I hope mine will eventually look like yours, colour-wise. What is the difference then between Ae. Sangria and Ae. fasciata var. purpurea?

I also just love your Neo Rainbow - fantastic! All your broms look like they are in ideal conditions to bring out their best, and great photos :).
    I'm also looking forward to Vr. Margarita becoming available in Oz - or is it already...anyone?

Cheers,
    Kerry

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments!

Kerry, as far as I know, Aech Sangria is a select clone of of fasciata var purpurea. And the Sangria a-m is still not a very 'stable' variegated plant - thus the almost albino pup that I got. But your one that you just got, looks very close to being 'settled'! I find all the Sangrias - plain or variegated - do best with a little bit of direct sun and then bright light for the rest of the day, to ring out their best colour. And apparently you also get better colour if you feed them a bit. I hit mine about once a months with a half strength foliar feed - low nitrogyn and high potash.

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Great growing tips - thanks Japie!

K :)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions