Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some colour before winter

Posted by avane Cape Town (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 8:59

It's this time of the year again here on the Southern tip of Africa when most of the colour will disappear from most Neoregelias planted in the garden. And today is a typical Winter's day for us here in Cape Town. Totally overcast with soft rain almost constantly for the whole day and the light level is very low. Cold and wet and grey! So I decided to colour up my life by taking some pictures in the rain (had to use a flash) before too much colour is gone.
But, first a picture for Kerry. I got a Ae Sangria a-m with very little variegation and now it gave me this pup with too much variegation! And there is a regular Sangria in the back.
Ae Sangria a-m

And while on Aechmea's, here is my Ae Shelldancer flowering for the first time:
Ae Shelldancer

And some Neoregelias.
Neo Barbarian
Neo Barbarian

Neo Irene
Neo Irene

Neo Lambert's Pride
Neo Lambert's Pride

Neo Rainbow
Neo Rainbow

Neo Sun King x Painted Lady
Neo Sun King x Painted Lady

Neo Strawberry
Neo Strawberry

Neo carolinae hybrid
Neo carolinae hybrid

Neo macwilliamsii
Neo macwilliamsii

No colour, but I like the fresh look of them:

Guz Georgia and Vr Raphael
Guz Georgia & Vr Raphael

Vr Margarita
Vr Margarita

Vr Sunset
Vr Sunset

Vr RoRo and Highway Beauty
Vr RoRo & Highway Beauty

Japie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some colour before winter

Exceptional Japie!

o

Hi Japie,
Yes conditions are much the same here in New Zealand even the falling rain all day, love that Ae Sangria variegated form + the Vr Margarita & N Carcharodon 'Rainbow' good pics in the rain.

o

Hi Japie, some lovely colour before winter indeed. That variegated Ae. Sangria is really something special, and that Rainbow is inspirational!!! Thanks for the pics. Cheers, Paul

o

Japie,

Great looking plants, the attached link below has an interesting article from John Catlin about encouraging varigation by placing the varigated leaf towards the sun to encourage varigated pupping - this was how he created Ae. Aztec Gold.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromeliaceae Jul/Aug05

o

Hi Japie - Winter might be just around the corner, but you still have a fantastic colour parade of beautiful plants.

Thanks for sharing your pic's with us, all the best, Nev.

o

Hi Japie,
Thanks for the autumn colour hit! - and great to see the colour in your variously variegated Sangrias. I thought all Sangrias were variegated, but obviously not. I hope mine will eventually look like yours, colour-wise. What is the difference then between Ae. Sangria and Ae. fasciata var. purpurea?

I also just love your Neo Rainbow - fantastic! All your broms look like they are in ideal conditions to bring out their best, and great photos :).
I'm also looking forward to Vr. Margarita becoming available in Oz - or is it already...anyone?

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments!

Kerry, as far as I know, Aech Sangria is a select clone of of fasciata var purpurea. And the Sangria a-m is still not a very 'stable' variegated plant - thus the almost albino pup that I got. But your one that you just got, looks very close to being 'settled'! I find all the Sangrias - plain or variegated - do best with a little bit of direct sun and then bright light for the rest of the day, to ring out their best colour. And apparently you also get better colour if you feed them a bit. I hit mine about once a months with a half strength foliar feed - low nitrogyn and high potash.

Japie

o

Great growing tips - thanks Japie!

K :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here