Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Plant is smelling....Anyone know why?

Posted by oneleggedduck Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 9:56

I recently purchased a beautiful Bromeliad from local discount store. I have really enjoyed it and watered it daily as the instruction card indicated. I have rotated it 2x daily to make sure it is getting adequate sunlight, moving it to a different room, etc.
I picked it up today and noticed a very strong smell coming from it. Almost smells like ruined milk. Anyone know what is going on? I am a novice gardener. I did spray it a couple of times into the middle part that is flowering...as I noticed just a tad of something that looked like mold/fungus, etc. I used a plant spray specifically for that.
I hope I don't have to chunk it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Plant is smelling....Anyone know why?

Water in the cup should be dumped out weekly and fresh put in it.

o

I don't even water it in the cup....as I saw on the web, it was not necessary unless it was kept outside....which it isn't.

o

Don't believe everything you read on the Web. Outside or not, water in the cup.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 17:18

You've probably got a guz. dont water in the flower but water in the leaf below the flower. I would let the soil dry out . The surest way to kill a brom is to overwater it. Mist it daily but water it when it dry's out,

o

If it was a Guz it wouldn't have the smell. Look on FCBS.org at Neoregelia photos and see if its a cup type. Could also be Aechmea or several other cup types. Without a photo its only a guess. But keep clean water in the cup no matter what the web says. Water the soil when it is dry and you will have a happy plant and plenty of pups.

o

• Posted by udom asia (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 7:50

It got rotton from too much water.

o

I think the confusion here is how much water and where.

1) You wrote that you water the plant daily. Stop watering the plant except, as experts above say, when it dries out. If you keep your plant indoors, that will probably be every three weeks or so (or maybe even longer). Do not water on a schedule. Water when the plant is dry.

2) You said that you don't put water in the cup. Start putting water in the cup. Change it out weekly. Do that by tipping the plant slightly sideways either outside or in the sink and letting the old water run out. Then pour fresh water into the cup (or, if a guzmania, in the second leaf set).

Happy owner, happy plant. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

o

The soil went sour. Peat too wet too long. Don't let water collect under it for long if you have a sauce under it. Once you put it outside,that same plant will be near no care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here