Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernice96

bromelaids

bernice96
13 years ago

Should I remove the dead flower from my plant so that it will reflower or should I discard the plant? Can I replant the new baby plants so they will flower and how long will that take?

Comments (2)

• nebu
    13 years ago

Yes cut the dead flower as close to the base as possible.

Don't remove the brom, it should offset with new pups.

Take a photo of the brom you speak of.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Bernice96

First of all welcome as a new member (Apr 10) to our friendly forum. I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time and learn a lot about bromeliads now you've joined our friendly group.

I answered a question posted by granniek recently about a similar query, and like nebu says, it is always easier to give accurate advice if you can post a picture of the plant in question.

Below is the previous post I speak of:

Posted by granniek SC Texas (My Page) on Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 16:06

Hi, I have a first brom, grows like the aechmea but it's not a varigated plant. Last fall it had a gorgeous vividly striking bloom. Before I could get a photo, our 8 mo old lab ate/mauled it!!! This plant was a gift.
    Now it has three pups. The mauled plant is still green. Will it lend nourishment to the pups? Or is it better to remove & pot-up the pups? Will they growq to maturity in one season & bloom?

TIA. Sheila :)

Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Newbie question

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 21:56

Hi everyone
    Sheila, without seeing a pic showing the size of the pups on your plant it is difficult to give a definitive answer about the pups, but as a general rule, some growers prefer to remove pups when they are 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the mother plant either with or without roots. This gives the mother plant the chance to grow more pups thereby increasing the number of plants she produces for you. It is also commonly accepted that it is better to remove pups only during the warmer months as they tend to just sulk and not grow well during the colder periods.

I personally like to allow the pups to grow to about 3/4 the size of the mother and not remove them until they have roots of their own, or follow the other option of not removing the pups and leaving multiple plants in the pot to form a nice specimen and talking piece. As the mother plant ages and deteriorates she will eventually die and can be removed,the choice is up to you.

The mother plant will nourish the pups, that's the reason it's called the mother plant; and because the pups are taking nourishment from the mother during this period, it is also advisable to give the her a bit of fertilizer to compensate for the nourishment she is losing.

As for your other question; "Will they grow to maturity in one season & bloom?" I personally have found this not to be the case. Mine usually require at least two seasons to make up into a flowering size plant, but having said that, I use very little fertilizer. Other growers will grow their plants much quicker than I and probably can achieve flowering in the first year, and hopefully someone with more experience than I will add to these comments.

I hope this helps in some way.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County
More Discussions