Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

Hechtia argentea in habitat

sdandy
14 years ago

This canyon was amazing. This is supposedly where the holotype Hechtia argentea was collected for Kew gardens (the one that won best in show some time in the mid-1800s that is still alive--but no pups that I know of). There was a ton of research that went into finding this, so you will have to wait until I get it published before I spill the beans on the location!

There have been a ton of 'argenteas' floating around that aren't the brilliant white/silvery coloring. And now after seeing this colony/canyon I might have to concede that they are argentea. The plants ranged from green to red to silver/white and everything in between. The spines seemed to range from fairly large and hooked to small and somewhat straight (and everything in between of course). Quite a puzzle. Makes me wonder if there is/are multiple species that have been creating a genetic stew in this canyon?!? Lots of studying needs to be done on this population.

I'll start with some territorial shots and then work into the plants....

{{gwi:456778}}

{{gwi:456779}}

{{gwi:456780}}

{{gwi:456781}}

{{gwi:456782}}

and look at all of the Tillandsia grandis growing with the hechtias!!!

{{gwi:456783}}

...including the purple form!

{{gwi:456784}}

{{gwi:456785}}

{{gwi:456786}}

{{gwi:456787}}

{{gwi:456788}}

{{gwi:456789}}

Look at the huge 'trunk' on this one. Any guesses at how old it is or how long it takes a hechtia to grow a trunk????

{{gwi:456790}}

And look at the variability of the color in this little cluster of plants (along with the agaves, cacti, fouquierias, etc)

{{gwi:456791}}

{{gwi:456792}}

Male flower of the plant above:

{{gwi:456794}}

{{gwi:456796}}

{{gwi:456798}}

There are a couple of more pictures in that gallery, and I have a ton more of that canyon. WOW was it unbelievable. Combine the grand canyon, the rocky mountains, and the Appalachians and throw in a ton of cool plants.

-andy

Comments (12)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very, very nice! Thanks for sharing them. Great to see in habitat.

tj

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Andy,

Brilliant stuff. And what a great place to foist onto an unsuspecting taxonomist!

Cheers, Paul

• sdandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha ha, yeah, I agree Paul. I am digging through all of the botanical descriptions and trying to figure some of it out. It looks like the Green and green/red shiny ones with the larger spines might be either H. podantha or affiliated genetically. So there are at least two species (if not more) in there.

There is a pretty active academic group in Mexico that seems to be doing a lot of work on the genus. I would love to talk with them and compare some notes. Unfortunately a lot of their articles are only published in Spanish...but between my modest Spanish, familiarity with academic articles, and the pictures I have done pretty well interpreting their papers.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I adjusted some photos to show the 'trunk' of that one hechtia better. The pictures still don't show it all that well...
    Contrary to some people's assertions that hechtias aren't worth anything because some are center bloomers doesn't quite hold with these spectacular plants!

{{gwi:456800}}

{{gwi:456802}}

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Far out - the elephant in the room! I couldn't see it at all before because I was looking for something that wasn't anywhere near that big. Thanks for the eye-opener!

• stephania
    14 years ago

In my opinion, there might be more than a number of Hechtia species.

Within 10 square metres of our tropical jungle in Thailand, you could find
    10-20 different species of Dendrobium orchid. I think the specific pollinator could be
    the natural species control.

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

Incredible! I wonder if everything started growing from the bottom up on the wall or the other way around.

• stephania
    14 years ago

I think the seeds might be dispersed by the wind up to the cliff.
    Hechtia seeds are really teeny, they need no parachute like that of Tillandsia or Vresea to fly.

• ltecato
    14 years ago

Great photos! I've been planting Orthophytum, Dyckia, Hechtia and Puya in my dry hillside garden here in SoCal. This raises my hopes that some of them will establish themselves nicely.

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

I wish I could find some clones of aregentea that are as silver as many of those are.

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

Wow!! Thank you for the pictures! That was amazing!

Rena'

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Andy,

Thank's once again for taking us on one of you bromeliad adventures into their natural habitats.

As far as I'm concerned it's second only to actually being there.

Fantastic stuff, don't ever stop and thank's again for sharing.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions