Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkebun88

What's happen with my new baby ?

Lisa Ls
14 years ago

Hi all...

4days ago I was given a bromeliad as a gift from my mother in law. When I was given it was green and lush, but this morning I saw it stared to turn a bit yellow on the tips of the leaves. I had watered it through the stem of the leaves 1x only and had it in my bright sunroom, no direct sunlight. I don't know what to do to revive it.

Did I over watering?

Or maybe itÂs too crowded and need to dividing ? Can I use regular potting mix ?

Should I think about repotting it?

Hope you all could help me revive my plant, I would be so appreciative - it is so sad to see a plant that could be gorgeous looking so unwell.

Thanks,

Lisa

{{gwi:457165}}

{{gwi:457166}}

{{gwi:457167}}

Comments (7)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

It looks like some sort of burning. Since you say it was never exposed to direct sunlight, could it have been recently exposed to either unusually hot or cold temperatures? That would be my first guess. Or what about some sort of chemical, could anything have gotten on the leaves?

Problems with watering or potting wouldn't cause such rapid and dramatic symptoms. It does look like it would probably benefit from dividing, or perhaps just moving the whole clump into a bigger pot, but if it looked fine a few days ago that doesn't solve the mystery. Do make sure it's not sitting in a saucer of water, though. That will eventually cause the roots to rot.

• Lisa Ls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lisa (also ^_^) for your input. I called my mother inlaw about this and told me that she's bought it from her local spring festival, maybe it cause sun burning n just appeared now ? So, what can I do now, just cut the bad leaves ?
    Do you know what kind of Brom this ?
    Oh well... I newbie for Bromeliad, hope it'll not get worse and will be back as a happy Brom for me :)
    Rgd, Lisa

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Usually sunburn will show up within a day or so, not 4 days. Did your mother-in-law put it in her car for a while and it got hot inside? That would do it.

Yes, there's not much you can do besides cut the burned portion off. If you cut the tips in the same shape as the natural leaf it will look better. It is a Vriesea, but I don't know which one.

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Vriesea Vogue perhaps.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

I had a Vriesea 'White Line' do exactly the same thing once. The plant was one I'd had for some time - nice and healthy, no heat stress or anything like that. I took it inside to make a bit of a display, together with some other green leafed Vrieseas and Guzmanias.

After 4 days the leaves went just like that. All the other plants were still fine. Had the same thing happen another time with another green leafed Vriesea - one of those smallish ones with a multi-paddle red flower spike. Again, no other plants affected.

In these cases, all I can think of is that these particular plants are in some way more sensitive to reduced light and/or reduced air movement - or maybe to dryness of the air?

No idea really, but you are not alone!

Cheers, Paul

• Lisa Ls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisa, I believed she put it in her car for at least 1/2 day before she's back home at that day.
    Bromaholic, I'll try to Googling it, ty
    Glad to know that I'm not alone, Paul :)
    Will try to keep it in same spot n hope the damage will not getting worse....

Thanks, Lisa

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi berkebun

I think you may have just answered the question when you said your mother in law had it in the car for half a day before she got home, although I'm surprised it took that long for the damage to show up.

As for the name, have a look at vriesea Eric on FCBS Photo Index.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions