Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregsytch

My front landscape

gregsytch
10 years ago

This is a pic of my front Bromeliad garden. We have had a LOT of rain in the past few months, and it shows.

Comments (13)

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

Awesome!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! That is just gorgeous! I wish we didn't have hard freezes here in Jax every winter. My in-ground broms all have freeze-burned tips. :(

Carol in Jacksonville

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Great stuff, Greg. Thanks for taking the time.

tj

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I am as well amazed with the ease with which Bromeliads grow
    I am a snow bird with a home in Ft Myers and had been looking for something that would look good when I am up north and yet be in bloom and smart looking the six months I am here Bromeliads for sure are the answer And so often people do not ind at all to share one with you I now have several different plants all happily growing and multiplying By trial and error I have learned which ones like sun and which shade Fortunately I have both situations Thanks for the posting I would so so as well but have not mastered the simple art of doing so

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

WOw, that's a gorgeous set up.

• Colleen53
    9 years ago

Love, love, LOVE your brom selection and landscape!

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

That looks fabulos! Which ones can take the sun? Most of mine burn when I put them in the landscape.

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Most broms need to be hardened off to sun if they were being grown in the shade.

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This area receives 2-4 hours of sun per day. I am coastal, so my temps are not too hot, either (usually only 90F or so in summer, rarely higher) so that helps. Adjusting broms slowly helps. I have like hundreds in other parts of the yard. Easy. Colorful.

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Ahhh..Tampa one of my favorite cities...On my way to Venice

• diane_v_44
    9 years ago

Venice Austria or not?

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Florida

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have learned over the years to situate bromeliads so they are happiest in each area...sun or shade. I have found part sun works for best color. Also, since technically I am zone 9b, the tree cover helps ward off our cold. Even in the nasty winter 4-5 years ago, what burning that did occur was not bad, and they responded (obviously) quickly. I sell potted plants at my annual summer sale at my house. It helps to pay for the cost of mulch, new varieties, etc. Being a teacher, I have the summer to play in my yard, too! :-))

Sponsored
More Discussions