Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My front landscape

Posted by gregsytch z9b Tampa Bay (gsytch@cs.com) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 14:43

This is a pic of my front Bromeliad garden. We have had a LOT of rain in the past few months, and it shows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My front landscape

Awesome!

o

Wow, wow, wow! That is just gorgeous! I wish we didn't have hard freezes here in Jax every winter. My in-ground broms all have freeze-burned tips. :(

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Great stuff, Greg. Thanks for taking the time.

tj

o

I am as well amazed with the ease with which Bromeliads grow
I am a snow bird with a home in Ft Myers and had been looking for something that would look good when I am up north and yet be in bloom and smart looking the six months I am here Bromeliads for sure are the answer And so often people do not ind at all to share one with you I now have several different plants all happily growing and multiplying By trial and error I have learned which ones like sun and which shade Fortunately I have both situations Thanks for the posting I would so so as well but have not mastered the simple art of doing so

o

WOw, that's a gorgeous set up.

o

Love, love, LOVE your brom selection and landscape!

o

That looks fabulos! Which ones can take the sun? Most of mine burn when I put them in the landscape.

o

Most broms need to be hardened off to sun if they were being grown in the shade.

o

This area receives 2-4 hours of sun per day. I am coastal, so my temps are not too hot, either (usually only 90F or so in summer, rarely higher) so that helps. Adjusting broms slowly helps. I have like hundreds in other parts of the yard. Easy. Colorful.

o

Ahhh..Tampa one of my favorite cities...On my way to Venice

o

Venice Austria or not?

o

Florida

o

I have learned over the years to situate bromeliads so they are happiest in each area...sun or shade. I have found part sun works for best color. Also, since technically I am zone 9b, the tree cover helps ward off our cold. Even in the nasty winter 4-5 years ago, what burning that did occur was not bad, and they responded (obviously) quickly. I sell potted plants at my annual summer sale at my house. It helps to pay for the cost of mulch, new varieties, etc. Being a teacher, I have the summer to play in my yard, too! :-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here