Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Vr guttata or pardalina?

avane_gw
13 years ago

After seeing Mike's picture of Vr pardalina, I am starting to doubt the validity of the name tag on my Vr guttata, since it looks almost exactly like Mike's plant. I did notice a less heavily spotted Vr guttata in a friend's garden some time ago and came home with a pup. It has grown nicely but has not flowered yet.

Here are some pictures of my plants.

My original Vr guttata:

{{gwi:457454}}

And showing the inflorescence:

{{gwi:457455}}

And a picture of the Vr guttata with less spots from a friend:

{{gwi:457456}}

Now could my original guttata be a Vr pardalina perhaps?

Japie

Comments (11)

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Japie,

I have a couple of so-labelled Vr. guttata that look very much like your original, so I'm keen to find out too!

Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Japie, your first clone is a dead ringer for the one in the link below, which appears to be fairly well documented. I don't know what the difference is between this species and pardalina, but unless some taxonomist wants to explain it to us, I would not change your tags.

That's a very nice clone, BTW. Mine (RIP) looked more like your second one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vr. guttata

• mike4284m
    13 years ago

I figured I'd toss my photo in this thread to keep everything in one place.

I agree my plant looks awfully similair to Vr. guttata. The spots don't seem to coalesce as much into distinct lines but that could be due to growing conditions maybe. If my plant didn't come from a reliable source (Eloise Beach) I would quickly assume it was misidentified.

But with bromeliads, who knows! Maybe a bloom will give me more answers.

{{gwi:456661}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Vr. guttata post . . .

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

I'll post my input from the other thread here too then...

"...For what it's worth, my 2c worth is your Vr. is a guttata too. It looks identical to my clump I have up in a tree.
    Look at leaf tips of the brazil photo on FCBS of pardalina compared to yours...it seems to have much rounder neo type tips, while guttata has more of the classic Vr. "pointy" down-turned tips like yours does..."

Same goes for both your clones Japie....keep it as guttata I say.

Cheers
    Graeme

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input every one, and I'll keep my tags as they are.

About the more rounded Neo type tips, Graeme, I took a picture of another clump of my first clone that gets more direct sun and has very nice rounded leave tips. And a picture of a pup with pointy leaves from the same clump.

{{gwi:457457}}

{{gwi:457458}}

Japie

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got an update I'd like to share with you all.

I got an e-mail from an unknown friend with an image attached. This is what he had to say:
    "Left Vriesea guttata
    right Vriesea pardalina
    They come to Flower now.
    If you want you can use the Picture in the garden web
    I had the Big plant as pardalina.Soon a botanist will look
    at the species ant the difference."

{{gwi:457459}}

Thank you very much Bert, for some strange reason I could not reply to your e-mail.

Japie

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got an update I'd like to share with you all.

I got an e-mail from an unknown friend with an image attached. This is what he had to say:
    "Left Vriesea guttata
    right Vriesea pardalina
    They come to Flower now.
    If you want you can use the Picture in the garden web
    I had the Big plant as pardalina.Soon a botanist will look
    at the species ant the difference."

{{gwi:457459}}

Thank you very much Bert, for some strange reason I could not reply to your e-mail.

Japie

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

Guys,

Could avane's plant and several other in this thread for that matter neither be guttat nor pardalina but capixabae?

We had our society mtg and the following plants were bough in, all by one grower. There is pardalina is in the back, capixabae is in front of it and guttata on the left.

{{gwi:457460}}

Notice the length of the inflo on pardalina
    {{gwi:457462}}

Guttata and guttata var. big (he said he bought it as such) are side by side growing under the same conditions in one pot. Guttata var. big looks like pardalina to me.

{{gwi:457463}}

Capixabae has the most dots, the most pointed leaves and the shortest info of all.

These photos would also concur what Avane's unknown friend (Bert?) sent about guttata and pardalina.

What do you think?

Sheila

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Well for me the differences between Guttata and Pardalina are quite obvious ,apart from the size differences and the fact that Pardalina makes a spike at least 2 x as long ,the flowers are longer and protrude further out of the bracts ,let alone the fact that Guttata has very defined spots ( mostly and nearly always aranged in " bands " when almost a mature plant , admittedly there are a few clones with less spotting but the other identifying feature is that Guttata spots nearly always have a shadow around them ,sort of like a halo , thats just my observations ,
    Jack

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

I was actually thinking that may be these ring of spots and the protruding flowers are describing not guttata but capixabae.

The other small plant with the few dots like the one avane's friend has should be guttata.

Pardalina is the big one, twice the size of guttata and capixabae, and also the inflo of pardalina is significantly longer than that of the other two. Guttata seems to be more green vs the more grayish leaves of pardalina and guttata appears to have its spots more evenly distributed than on pardalina where the spots are distributed more sporadic and there where are spots those spots are more densely packed.

Does this make sence?

If it does, the bottom line would be that several guttatas out there are actually capixabae.

then that would be pardalina on left, guttata on the right and the last two pictures would show capixabae
    {{gwi:457465}}

{{gwi:457467}}

{{gwi:457469}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Sorry but no ,they are Guttata's , Jack

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions