Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kew_tip

ID Please

kew_tip
15 years ago

Could someone please help with an ID. The best match I can find is the Ae.aquilega shown on page 40 of Baensch's book. Thank you.

{{gwi:457499}}

{{gwi:457500}}

Comments (10)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Definitely not Ae. aquilega, I'm not even sure it's an Aechmea. For some reason I'm thinking Portea, but it's not one I recognize. Hybrid?

• flabrom
    15 years ago

Do the leaves have spines?

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

Yes, they do. I have the same plant as Kewtip. No ID.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Your brom looks very like one I grow labeled as Aechmea 'Dana J' (Ae.chantinii x Ae. weilbachii). The inflorescence of mine is more segmented, but it might be the same variety. The FCBS photo index shows 'Dana J' as having lilac petals, versus mine and yours which appear lemon-coloured - so something seems remiss in one of the IDs.
    Does anyone else grow 'Dana J', for comparison?

Here are a couple of photos of my (supposed) Ae. 'Dana J'. Do you see a similarity?
    {{gwi:457501}}

{{gwi:457502}}

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

Kerry,

As you mentioned, the plant does have yellow flowers. The leaves and coloring are a lot like yours.

The FCBS lists this plant being hybridized by Bromagic. Do you think it would be readily available in the US?

Susan

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Susan,

The BSI cultivar database reveals that Ae.'Dana J' was created pre-1984, hybridiser unknown, and not officially registered. Keith Golinski's photo is the only recorded photo in the FCBS photo index.

I bought mine from Olive Trevor, an Australian who has imported many broms from U.S. and Europe. It COULD be readily available in the US - but I don't know for sure. The name sounds more American than Australian to me. I could check with Olive, and get back to you both on this.

Anyone else growing this in the US?

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

Kerry,

That would be great if you would check this for us.

Susan

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry - Welcome back.

How did the conference go? A little bird told me you gave an excellent presentation. I hope you took heaps of pic's as well.

All the best, Nev.

• kew_tip
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since the last posting I have received the following information from the person who passed this brom onto Bodiggly and myself. After looking at the Hohenbergias, I must admit I cann't find a resemblance either!

"When I bought this (Fairchild Tropical Gardens at one of their plant sales), the lady told me that it was a Hohenbergia. But I've never found it anywhere in a book "

Kerry, I wonder if you have had an opportunity yet to check it with Olive Trevor?

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi Kew tip and Susan,
    Sorry to take so long to get back about this. I was hoping to be able to report on something concrete...
    I waited until Olive had finished a big weekend brom show in Brisbane, after she drove back from Adelaide, before ringing her. We have missed each other and left messages over five phone calls, and now I've found out she is away again for a few more days. She is a very busy lady!
    As soon as I learn anything, I will post it here.

Cheers,
    Kerry

Sponsored
More Discussions