Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bromeliads under oak trees?

Posted by cynthiainsouthfla 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:55

Hi, guys, never posted in this forum before but have a question about placing some of my bromeliads under my live oaks. I was told that I should not have done that because the oak leaves will fall into the cups and kill the plant.

Now I'm paranoid about it and I go out every now and then and pull out some of the oak leaves which results in being stuck by tiny bromeliad thorns. One of my neoregelias seems not to be doing well, but the achmeas and other neos seem okay, so maybe it has other issues.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bromeliads under oak trees?

Hi everyone,

Cynthia - I don't know what type of Oak Tree you have; is it the one with the broard leaf like an "English Oak" or does it have the needle like leaves like what we call a "She Oak" or "Swamp Oak" (Casuarina) in Australia?

I have no personal experience about these leaves being harmful to brom's except what I once read about a grower who put his plants beneath a She Oak (fine needle like leaves) and all the plants rotted in the cups which were full of needles.

Plants he had placed beneath other different trees on the same property were OK so the assumption was that the She Oak needles were harmful to brom's.

If in doubt wash them out well and move to a new location.

I hope this helps you a bit.

All the best, Nev.

o

They are live oaks.

The leaves are not needle-like. They're just leaves, not as broad as a regular oak, I don't think, but not needles. I like the way the broms look where they are and would like to keep them there if possible.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 8:52

Do a search in the Florida gardening forum it has been discussed there. I have 5 different Neos growing under mine and I clean the cups when we have a big leaf drop. Some neos. are doing well some are not. The Achmeas don't seem to care. So I think it may be more about the types you grow there. I run in the morning and a few miles away there is an Oak tree that has neos achmeas and guzmons thriving they are kept very clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here