Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Aechmea pineliana in bloom..

One of my favorites. Keeps that dazzling foliage color all year too.

{{gwi:457587}}

Comments (21)

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Stanofh, that is stunning, one of my favourites too. But isn't that Ae pineliana v. minuta? And if you like this one, consider getting yourself an Ae Vaquero (maculata x pineliana v. minuta).

Japie

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

I forgot to add the picture. If given enough sun, this plant gets a much more orangey glow.

Ae Vaquero
    {{gwi:457588}}

• mike4284m
    14 years ago

Great plants. I love that one Japie. I was just mentioning the other day how few broms have a real orange to them.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just forgot to add the minuta part.
    That Vaquero is sharp. I wonder if the day will ever come when nurserys will actually offer broms that have colorful foliage?-THAT last's much longer than any bloom.
    The pineliana clan has very good hardiness here in the cool bay area Japie. So Vaquero might be worth an online search..unless you or anybody knows who has it in stock?

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Stan and Japie - great looking plants.

Stan, is that Ae. pineliana minuta a particular clone to develop that colour? Or are all Ae. p. minuta's like that? I think I have to get one for my sunny spot. Come to think of it, I probably need a Vaquero as well.

Cheers, Paul

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Stan, give Michael a call!

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Paul, sorry, I forgot to add : that IS the colour of all the minutas that I know - but to get it, grow them nice and hard. And mounted preferably, with lots of sun. Nice thing, they pup like crazy!

Japie

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Japie,

Sounds like just the thing I need, and should cook up nicely in the spot I have in mind. Many thanks for letting me know.

Cheers, Paul

Original Author
    14 years ago

The best lighting position is where the sunlight shines from behind or close too behind part of the day..minuta as I have said doesn't just show color then-it literally glows!.
    For the first couple of years,I had no idea.I kept my two clumps in part shade where they were green with pale purple bands. Nice,but nothing special. When I got tired of so many baskets at face level-or ducking when higher-I put most of my broms on the pergola's top rafters. Two flushes of new leaves later, I got that glow from minuta....

• catkim
    14 years ago

You are so right, when grown hard they look like a totally different plant than when grown in a shadier spot. Mine are blooming now too, I'll have to take a pic to share.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I recently saw a pic of Ae. pineliana minuta which covered the whole roof of an old corrugated iron garden shed. It was a beautiful blaze of colour and the grower attributed its rate of growth to the bottom heat generated by the corrugated iron on the roof.

Unfortunately,I don't remember where I saw the pic.

Paul, I have some spare pups. If you would like one, send me an email.

All the best, Nev.

• catkim
    14 years ago

Compare this shade-grown clump (past bloom, been dividing it up):

{{gwi:457590}}

...with these grown in full sun for about four or five years:

{{gwi:457592}}

They don't even look like the same plant, but these looked like the top photo when I first bought them. They didn't enjoy the transition to sun, but the offspring adapted quite well.

Original Author
    14 years ago

That bottom should go in Daves Garden Kim,great color. I'm telling you-other than my posts,I don't think you will find the minuta's on the net in their "glow" form pictured. Just in their dull green camo.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well,I just checked-should have know better than to say none,but still very few and vastly outnumbered by the plain green.
    Kim,-those bottom minuta's,they take yet another form in ground in full sun???..when will this end with these broms?. Now,I'm going to have to take some down and try that. I learn everyday.....

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Wow, those look awesome Kim! How tall are they? The leaf lengths look close to the same, just held tighter...is that a fair statement or do they grow a little smaller in full sun as well?
    -andy

• catkim
    14 years ago

Just went out to measure. Height of leaves, 14-17 inches. Overall height, including inflorescence, 21-25 inches. On the shade-grown potted version, the leaf length is about 10-13 inches. Glad you like the photos. I always thought the contrast was striking.

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Will have to get mine out in full sun.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Nice plant Stan, and the colour of catkim's plant really looks something special in the garden.

I've not seen Ae. Vaquero before Japie, it's also very attractive and it looks like another one for the wish list (any Aussies have it?).

I have Ae. pineliana minuta but it is only 9-10" high from the top of the pot to the top of the plant (is there another larger form as well as the minuta?)

I currently grow mine hanging beneath 50% green shade cloth, but from the colours I have seen with catkim's plants in full sun, I'm going to try one on my back porch beneath clear polycarbonate just to see what a difference it makes.

As you can see, the spiders like it also which makes it a bit untidy, but I can live with that as long as they keep eating the other bugs. I don't use insecticides so my plants have to take their chances with all of nature's bugs.

One of my plants of Ae. pineliana minuta.......

{{gwi:457594}}

....and another

{{gwi:457620}}

Another plant which I grow in the same place is Ae. nudicaulis and its variety 'Costa Rica'. I like them both for their unpredictable growth habit. If I had a suitable tree, I would try mounting one or two pups.

Ae. Nudicaulis

{{gwi:457621}}

Ae. Nudicaulis 'Costa Rica'

{{gwi:457622}}

The flowers are pretty nice also and not unlike Ae. pineliana minuta.

{{gwi:457623}}

{{gwi:457624}}

{{gwi:457625}}

Thanks for the pic's everyone, all the best, Nev.

Original Author
    14 years ago

wow,nudicaulis 'costa rica' goes on the list.Broms that look great out of bloom like that,are high on my list with the micro chip sized yard space I'm stuck with.

• catkim
    14 years ago

Nev, very attractive collection, thanks for posting your pix.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Stan, check out Ae Tomas Mello on FCBS!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions