Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedling pupping at this size??? No way!

Posted by gonzer (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 17:56

This is my Bill. 'Darth Vader' x 'Pink Champagne' creation and one of 'em is giving birth! Someone care to enlighten me how this is possible?

darth x pink

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedling pupping at this size??? No way!

I often get seedlings pupping at an early stage, Gonz. I wouldn't say it's the norm, but it's not that unusual either, so I don't usually pay much attention to it. I've even had a few bloom at that stage, which definitely catches my attention, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's going to be its permanent pattern. It just got a wrong signal somewhere along the line.

Sometimes a seedling will start pupping if there has been some sort of damage (visible or not) to the meristem of the main plant. In that case, you will usually see several pups at once and it will become fairly obvious after a while that mama has stopped growing. Other times, however, the mother will continue growing just fine, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for it. I can only assume that it's just doin' it cuz it feels like it. ;-)

o
RE: seedling pupping at this size??? No way!

Thanks Lisa, I was hoping for your thoughts. This should be an interesting year with all those hybrids growing up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here