Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

The new arrivals as promised

User
16 years ago

These creations of Lisa are going to be great when they grow up. I'm partial to "Pipeline" since my background is surfing. Below them are 3 Vriesea hybrids that Rancho Soledad Nursery created that I picked up for a song, no names as yet.

{{gwi:458077}}

{{gwi:458078}}

{{gwi:458079}}

{{gwi:458080}}

{{gwi:458081}}

{{gwi:458082}}

{{gwi:458083}}

{{gwi:458084}}

{{gwi:458086}}

{{gwi:458087}}

{{gwi:458089}}

Comments (30)

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

LOL Purple cow??? how did that pop in the pictures
    I like them all

• jaga
    16 years ago

Nice haul Gonzor- especially love the names for Lisa's creations! When's Holy Cow coming out?
    Well done on the vriseas, thanks for sharing the pictures.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Yeah, alright.... mock if you must, but YOU try coming up with some good names! I needed a word to go with purple, and rain, haze, passion, etc. had all been used. I could have called it Purple People Eater, so count your blessings. :-p

Gonzer, most of those appear to be showing the effects of winter, i.e. not much coloration and kinda stretched out. If you grow them fairly hard they will get better, I promise you. Meanwhile, dibs on the first pup from that last Vriesea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple cow

• ozvon
    16 years ago

The Vrieseas are spectacular - you should be very proud of yourself :-)

• treehaus
    16 years ago

Wow, Lisa - whether by intention or coincidence you managed to "quote" the "Purple Cow" of this poem by naming a Bromeliad "Purple Cow," I would say that makes you exempt from all mockery - very impressive (as well as safe - Gelett Burgess can no longer "kill you if you quote it!")

Gelett Burgess might continue to serve you well as a source of inspiration for names - apparently he holds a record in the Guinness Book of World Records for his list of words for "drunken", and he also invented to word "blurb" (Wikipedia).

• treehaus
    16 years ago

I meant, "invented THE word blurb"

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Very nice Gonzer! I particularly like Hula Auwana and Pipeline. I am sure they will colour up very nicely for you! I still have a problem getting bills to look their nicest, but one of these days when I get the hang of it, I want to get that whole lot of Lisa's surfing ones!

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Thanks, treehaus!

Hmmm.......... Billbergia 'Blurb' has possibilities, no? ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Billbergia "Jaws", could that be an inspiration too Lisa?
    Big, gnarly, over-the-top, simply the biggest!

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

With the barbs some broms have, I think Purple People Eater would be an appropriate name!

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

watch out all you 'purple people' LOL

• treehaus
    16 years ago

I think Billbergia 'Blurb' would be great!

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Blurb does have a certain alliterative charm, I have to admit. Or how about Billbergia Bulbul or Baobab?

Bubblebath, Bobblehead, Babbling Brook, Blubberbutt, Bilbo Baggins, Badger Badger Badger............ hey, look out, I'm on a roll!

• winterlager
    16 years ago

Lisa, you can always use characters and phrases from books. How about starting a Charles Dickens series. Billbergia 'Bob Cratchit' and Neo 'Bah Humbug' maybe Aechmea 'Oliver Twist'. You can't beat the classics.

• treehaus
    16 years ago

I like 'Bilbo Baggins'... hmm...

'Smaug', or 'Gollum' could be fun. A properly pale and green Brom could pass as 'Gollum'.

• sander_s
    16 years ago

How about a cow series?

Holy cow, Cowabunga, Cow and chicken, Cow tipper, Sacred cow, Cash cow....

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

'Cash Cow', now that's what I've been looking for.....

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

We must not forget Cow pie, Cow chip, and Cow Pattie

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

As a matter of fact I've got some culls I'd like to call Cow Pie.

And don't forget More Cowbell (for all you Chris Walken fans).

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago
  • winterlager
    16 years ago

Who knew? I stopped watch SNL around season six. I had better things to do on Saturday Nights then. Still, good name for a Brom.

""More cowbell" is an American pop culture catch phrase originally derived from an April 8, 2000 Saturday Night Live comedy sketch about the recording of the song "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by Blue Ãyster Cult. The sketch featured guest host Christopher Walken as music producer Bruce Dickinson and Will Ferrell as fictional cowbell player Gene Frenkle. In the television special Saturday Night Live: 101 Most Unforgettable Moments, this sketch is moment number five."

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

It seems to be nearly impossible to find a good quality video of that sketch in its entirety, but for those of you who don't know what we're talking about, this is the best I could do:

Here is a link that might be useful: More cowbell!

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Cow poke, cow puncher, Lil dogies, Whoopee ti yi yo!!!

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Thanks for a good laugh everyone! And now I understand the reference to More Cowbell - guffaw!!

Silly Ol' Moo, Bovine Delight, Udder-full, Veal Appeal, Milkshake, CO 2 Depleter, Beefsteak (oh, already have that one!), Cowboy's Dream, Russell Cow........

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

And Cowboys Nightmare

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I think Simon Cow would work better than Russell.

The Hawaiian word for cowboy is Paniolo, so I guess that brings us full circle (sort of)!

Speaking of other Bill names (Merrie Monarch, Kumu Hula, Miss Aloha Hula, Hula Kahiko, Hula Auwana), the 2008 Merrie Monarch Festival just wound up last night. Check the link for photos, videos, and other information about this major cultural event here in the islands:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Merrie Monarch coverage

• neomea
    16 years ago

Hi Guys

Lisa the pic of Bill "pipeline" on your website is a lovely white plant, Gonzers plant that is labelled as "pipeline" looks to be a completly different....any ideas?

Cheers

Neomea

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Neomea, look at the picture of Bill Pipeline on FCBS and look at the older leaves of the plant - exactly like those of Gonzer's plant. I am sure his is still a very young plant.

Japie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Pipeline

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

It's the same plant, Neomea. As Japie says, it doesn't take on the full white markings until near maturity, but it could also be the result of winter weather and/or fertilization. When I visited Michael's in November it was hard to recognize some of the things I had sent him earlier in the year because they had been fairly heavily fertilized and lost color. He has to do this initially to boost production, but they will outgrow it. Gonzer grows his Bills hard, so I'm sure all of those above will improve in appearance over time.

• neomea
    16 years ago

thanks japie and lisa. Thats clears it up. I have recieved a few bills from michael, now that i know he has pipeline it will be in my next order