Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

new arrivals...oh boy! Till growers only.

User
14 years ago

Just received 16 new species/forms from the Fairy Godmother. As far as I know most of these are not available in the States. barfusii, butzii v. roseiflora, delicata, gilliesii, eistetteri, gilliesii fa. major, gilliesii ssp. polysticha, globosa, heteromorpha var. hetero, helmutii, jucunda v. viridiflora, nolleriana, psuedocardenasii, yuncarensis, walter-richteri, xiphioides v. lutea.

The heteromorpha is the real type plant, unlike the plants usually advertised, those are heteromorpha var. rauhii.

{{gwi:458432}}

Comments (10)

• tillandsiakyle
    14 years ago

Wow! you are a lucky man gonzer

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Gozer, congratulations.
    This has nothing to do with Tills. Long ago I saw in one posting or apeared in ont of your pictures a steel made cutting device,a kind of shear
    a long handled cutting device. I remember it had some yellow.
    I would like a picture of it. I guess it would be great for cutting old basa dyckia leaves.
    Thanks and congratulations
    constantinog@terra.com.br

• stoney225
    14 years ago

You are lucky to have access to these plants. I have been Interested in T. barfusii since I saw it in the What's New section of FCBS.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

'Onya Gonz - congratulations! I've only heard of a few of those. Must be exciting to add more rarities to your collection. So how many varieties of Tills in it now? And how many more on your holy grail wish list?
    Which one is your absolute fave?

K :)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you like 'em.
    Gastaldi, the pruners you asked about are needle-tipped Fujiyama® satsuki bonsai scissors with 4cm blades, available on E-bay for about $20. The other is the Corona® thinning shear with 5cm blades, about $15.

{{gwi:458434}}

Stoney, I'll get ya a shot of barfusii after it's soaking.
    And Kerry. Favorite? Tough call (impossible!) but I am partial to the form and small size of T. streptocarpa with it's long inflo and 2" seed pods. The bottom pic is of another, a chiapensis hybrid which has kept it's red color almost a year after blooming. It reminds me of a crab.

{{gwi:458436}}

{{gwi:458438}}

• bob61
    13 years ago

Gonzer That is a great batch of plants you got. How about some pics of them. The heteromorpha for sure.
    Is that reclinata bottom right on the last picture? Best Bob

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, I'll get you the photos today. That plant is not reclinata but thiekenii which grows downward also. I have problems getting size out of the Brazilian red-flowered species, they just don't acclimate right. Geminiflora, roseiflora and sprengeliana do just OK, kautskyi just hangs on and I lost my only organensis years ago. Pam Koide has grazielae and reclinata at Birdrock but both have declined since she moved locations a few years back. It seems the Brazilians need cooler temps to thrive.

• bob61
    13 years ago

Gonzer those type don't like it here either even with a wet wall. But I do grow a lot of high altitude Guzmanias. What is that chiapensis cross in the picture?
    It must be nice to have access to those great nursery's in California. Best Bob

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, the chiapensis cross is unknown but I have a feeling it's one of Bill Baker's since I got it from Birdrock years ago. It is one of my favorites, the color has lasted over 6 months. The third photo shos another chiapensis x ? which is very similar yet the spike is more inflated.

{{gwi:458440}}

{{gwi:458442}}

{{gwi:458443}}

Now for the heteromorpha pics.
    First is the type normally sold as plain hetero yet I believe it is var. rauhii. Flowering will help key it out.
    Size 10 shoe for scale.

{{gwi:458444}}

This is a long-leaf form which has yet to flower.

{{gwi:458445}}

The type plant; heteromorpha var. heteromorpha, much smaller, almost tenuifolia size.

{{gwi:458446}}

The "rope form" which attached itself to it's brother below him.

{{gwi:458447}}

The "kleine" (or small) form which is one of the slowest growers. This fella's about 17 years old. 2 photos

{{gwi:458448}}

{{gwi:458449}}

As for the nurseries out here? Not much anymore, mostly private collection swapping..

• bob61
    13 years ago

Great pictures Gonzer. Heteromorpha sure lives up to its name.Iv got three forms of it myself. One in particular That looks like the rope form but is fuzzyer. and talk about slow, a snail could take a trip around the world before it grew an inch. Your chiapensis hybrids are nice to. Any thing with chiapensis in it is always nice. It is a great plant. I had no idea that thiekenii grew like that also. I'v learned several thing from this thread. Thanks Gonz for your info and great pictures. Best Bob

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions